First batch Co2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibrewer

Reaction score
How long after bottling will the beer continue to get more carbonated? I bottled my first batch about a week ago and although the recipe said to let it age for three weeks in the bottle, I cracked one open at the one week point (curiosity got the better of me). I have to say that it tasted great, but it was definitely flat. Can I expect this to get nice and fizzy in the next week or two or is it possible that I didn't stir in my priming sugar enough?

Anything possible, but as you'll hear thousands of times, Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew. In your case, you don't have any yet, but get a good brew to substitute.

Let you beer sit for about 3-4 weeks. The longer the better. I've tried beers after leaving them in the cellar for a year, and they were completely amazing compared to the original ones drank at 3 weeks. The key is patience. If you brew enough beer (every other weekend), then you'll eventually have a stockpile and can sort of forget about what's in your fermentor. Helps with the anxiety.

the three weeks at 70 we recommend is just a rule of thumb, And factors like temp during storage, and gravity of beer factor into it.

I have a detailed blog about carbonation and conditioning here. Revvy's Blog, Of patience and bottle conditioning.

Your issue is like 99% of them...it really is a matter of patience.

I have had stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks to carb, and had a 1.090 belgian strong not carbonate for 3 months.

When in doubt, wait it out.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back