First batch and possible second

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiseAgainstMe

Reaction score
I'm gonna do my first batch this Saturday. I have a Brewers Best English Brown Ale kit. For this kit I was wondering if anyone has personal experience/recommendations as to primary time and possible secondary time.
If it is recommended to do some secondary for this than the day I transfer I would like to get a second batch going already and was wondering what suggestions anyone has for a beer that will be ready and go well with the weather in Michigan in lets say april/may.
Also is it a good idea to get a second batch going before I even know if my first turns out ok?

Thanks

BB directions say to transfer to a secondary pretty quickly. ....

It was the first kit i did and I spent a ton of time reading this forum and figured out that you will get much better beer if you leave it in the primary for longer.

I did leave mine in the primary 2 weeks and did rack to a secondary for another 1 - 1/2 weeks. My next batch is still in the primary 3 weeks and will bottle next Saturday. I ended up buying another fermenter so I could do another batch which I did last Saturday.

I still have not tasted my first one... I am waiting until it bottle conditions for 3 weeks like everyone here recommends. Life is to short to drink bad beer.

I amy brew my fourth batch before I even taste the final product from my first one. I did taste them along the way and they all seem like they will be good.

I have done other BB kits and done the quick transfer, but I have found that it is not really needed unless dry hopping, adding oak, etc (or if you need the fermenter). I currently primary for a month and then bottle unless I am doing something else to the beer.

Getting the second one going will add to your pipeline so that you have multiple beers to drink at any given time.

Back