First batch-accidentally left hop bag in fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbithopps

Reaction score
My first batch is fermenting right now, but thanks to those wonderful ingredient kit directions that didn't tell me to take out the hop bag before pouring the hot mixture in the fermenter, I've only discovered several days later you aren't supposd to do that. The beer I'm trying to make is a simple all malt pilsner. So I was wondering if anyone else had made this newbie mistake and how it will affect the beer. Should I just start over and save myself the time and effort of bottling a screwed up batch? Or could this mistake turn into an interesting tasting first brew?

I did search several threads and didn't find anything about this, so if I missed an earlier thread I'm sorry to ask the same question again.

Thanks for your help.

I would just ride it out and see how it tastes. The end result will more than likely just be hoppier than originally intended, not necessarily a bad thing.
I did something very similiar with my first batch, a pale ale, only I didn't use a hop bag.
After the boil, I poured everything into the primary...used hops pellets and all. It sat like that for a good week or so, before racking to the secondary. The beer turned out pretty good, considering it was my first attempt.

I don't think it will make a difference in the beer. Because the hop bag was boiled in the kettle it should be sanitary. There are no problems with having the boil hops go into the fermenter either; I do it often. I also doubt the bag itself will contribute any detectable flavor to the beer.

Don't worry, everything will be ok. And Welcome to HBT! :mug:

The beer should be fine with the hop bag in it, don't worry.

You may want to cool the wort before you pour it in your bucket, keeps you from getting burned, doesn't risk hot side aeration, helps oxygenate your cool wort etc.

Back