First All Grain Recipe/bill Imperial Stout Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so here it is 5 Gallon Batch 60min boil Imperial chocolate Stout Beer smith has estimated the ABV to be 9.6, i plan on using safale us05 yeast, do you think i can get away with one packet or should i use 2 or 1 with a starter? yeast suggestions welcomed also

14lbs us 2 row pale malt
8oz Choc malt
8oz black barley
4oz roasted barley
4oz caramel/crystal 120L
4oz caramel/crystal 40L

1lb molasses 60min boil
1oz Warrior hops 60min boil
1oz willamette hops 15mins
whirfloc tab 15mins
1oz willamette hops 5mins

So i have a some questions, i used beersmith to make this grain bill, so if any of the grains seem to repetitive, unnecessary or you think i should add or subtract something, i would appreciate the advice. Beer smith is telling me to mash in add 5 and 1/8 gallons of water at 163f then steep at 150f for 75mins. Is this right? i thought the standard was 60mins and i thought the steeping would be more around 154-157F and why also is it telling me 163F, am i suppose to let the grains dough in and protein rest at 163, is this where the extra 15mins is coming into play? I was thinking of adding half a chocolate bar at the last 5mins of the boil or cacao nibs in the secondary, i would like to get a nice subtle hint of choc taste to this stout. Thanks

you'll get different things from all those grains so they won't necessarily be repetitive in the way that adding crystal20 in there would probably be. i would up the roast, though. while you could get away with one pound total, it will be on the very low end for RIS. if this is what you want, great.

the most important thing i would tell you, though, would be to put this on hold for a batch or two if this is your first all-grain batch. i am unsure if this is your first batch or just your first recipe. if you are new to AG i would suggest brewing something non-imperial to get used to the process.

i don't think <16lb of malt will get you to 9.6% abv, either. you are unlikely to get the efficiency needed (and you may not want it anyway).

Beersmith is telling you that the temperature of the strike water is 163. It calculates the temperature of water necessary to hit your rest temperature.
Time on a mash is a guideline IMHO. You are looking for conversion of starches into sugars. After awhile you will get an idea this has happened because the appearance of the mash changes. The way to measure conversion is to take a couple of drops of liquid mash and put it on a white plate. Take a couple drops of iodine and place them next to the mash. If the place where the iodine meets the mash turns black, it has not completed and needs more time. Iodine is cheap and easy to find. Don't return the iodine to the mash tun, it is poisonous.

I have done quite a few extract kits probably around 15/20. Starting to learn more about the characteristics of the grains, so i can build some half way decent grain bills. I understand an imperial stout probably isn't the best option for my first all grain, but i'm up for the challenge. I will research some more and tweak this recipe, though in the mean time i'll take all the knowledge i can get from those willing to lend it.

Back