first all grain questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliethebum

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've been extract brewing for a few years now (lurking the forums just as long) and figured since I just made the jump to all grain I'd better sign up. For my firs AG brew I made an ipa (no specific recipe just winging it) and my fg ended up quite a bit lower than expected (1.006). I did lose 10 degrees mash temp over an hour (started at 154 wound up 144) and was thinking this was the reason for the low fg. Does anyone have any good tips to keep my temperature consistent? (10 gallon igloo cooler) and I was trying for more of a red and it ended up more dark copper colored if anyone has any advice on that. Thanks in advance!
Here's my recipe
10# briess 2 row 1.8L
1#briess caramel 60L
2 oz chocolate 350L
1 oz nugget 14 % 60 min
3/4 oz amarillo 7.1 % 30 min
1/4 oz cascade 7.4 % 30 min
1/4 oz amarillo 7.1% 5 min
3/4 oz cascade 7.4 % 5 min

Pre heat the MT, and once the mash begins, don't open it and wrap it up in blankets or whatever you have. I'd also mash out at 169 to stop the conversion, because you are still converting until you get to 170ish.

I dumped a gallon of boiling water in the mlt a good 10 or 15 minutes before starting the mash is that sufficient for pre heating? I didn't open it but didn't wrap it either I'll try that next time. Do you mash out by adding boiling water prior to lautering? Thanks for the advice

One gallon not enough. Fill it w/hot tap water first thing., then do everything else you need to do before mashing in.

Oh and is a 1.006 fg from 1.056 og out of the ordinary? Yeast was BRY-97 American west coast ale yeast pitched at 80 deg. Fermented @ 68 deg for 9 days

Back