First all grain carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've just switched from partial to all grain and done my first all grain batch. Seemed to all work great, got my correct gravity readings and the first fermentation seemed to work well.

I've bottled it the same way as I did my partial mash but the carbonation process seems to be taking a lot longer or not working at all?

I used the same amounts of caster sugar for both processes. I carbonate in my bottles.

Its been 4 weeks now and still no or hardly any carbonation. Any ideas why? Do I need to add more sugar for all grain carbonation?

I did a Coopers can brew at the same time and that was ready in two weeks.
Thanks,
Rob

You should post recipe, how you bottled and how you sanitized.

I'm sure the knowledge pool here will be able to tell you whats going on. For example stronger, hoppier, or darker beers can take longer to carbonate and condition than normal beers. Also its possible that you didn't mix the priming sugar well and while some bottles have little to no carbonation, others will be gushers once opened (you'll know what I mean once you get your first one).

Also keep in mind that 3-4 weeks at ~70 is considered the minimum amount of time as Revvy has said on here many many times. :mug:

Edit: Oh and there is no difference between extract and all grain when carbonating.

I'm using the exact same process (as cleaning bottles, using fermentation tanks, bottling etc) as my partial mash which comes out perfectly.

Maybe its the number of days in carbonation as you mention. Could be still early days. It just felt like the partial mash took less time to carbonate.

I'¡ll post the recipe and process when I get home.

Cheers,
Rob

Ok. The recipe was using is the following:
4kg pale ale malted barley
1kg dark crystal malted barley
35g of northern brewer hops
35g of Styrian goldings hops
Teaspoon of Irish moss

Cheers,
Rob

I have noticed a few duds in my batches that I didn't mix (slowly) I would keep trying 1 a week. And I hate to ask but are you 100% sure you didn't add both sugar charges to the same batch?

I came out with about 22L of beer. I user the same amount of caster sugar to prime my beer as my partial mash (which comes out perfectly) about a teaspoon per 330ml bottle.

Guess my doubts where with my partial mash as I add a lot of sugars (dme and lme) and was wondering if this somehow speeds up the priming process and differs form all grain priming? But if it's the same then I will continue.

Back