first all grain. BIAB mocha stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkm11b

Reaction score
well i finally got an all grain batch under my belt. it was a sam adams cream stout clone with a pound and a half of good coffee grounds put in. because of the cost (3 bucks for painter strainer bags), and space (im living with my buddy right now, and hes married) i did a BIAB. heres the recipe.
8lb british pale malt
1lb wheat malt
10oz crystal 60
8oz dark choc malt
6oz roasted barley
1lb maltodextrin
1oz EKG-45min
.5oz fuggles-45min
.5oz fuggles-15min
1968 yeast-making a starter using some malta goya.
my wish upon a star O.G is 1.056 my actual O.G is 1.051 so not too bad for me.
i tried to mash it at 155-156, but my temps went all over the place, im sure the grain could be milled twice next time, and im sure i will be able to hone in on my temps. i tasted the hydrometer sample and it tasted like good coffee...so i guess i succeeded there. so my third brew, and its also my first all grain, ill pat myself on the back when its done.

How did this beer turn out for you? I'm looking at doing my first BIAB (but in just a 19L pot...) so probably have to change some things here...

well due to my brothers wedding 4 states away, a new job, and moving into an apartment, i havnt had the time to keg it. the hydro samples tasted good though. ill post a reply when its finished.

finally kegged, and drinking it now. not too much of the coffee flavor came through, but its a very smooth, and mellow stout. nice roasty flavor, and great body and mouthfeel. i highly recommend this brew.

finally kegged, and drinking it now. not too much of the coffee flavor came through, but its a very smooth, and mellow stout. nice roasty flavor, and great body and mouthfeel. i highly recommend this brew.

Next time cold brew the coffee and add it to taste at keging time. That's what I do when I bottle. My last coffee stout was a winner. I used 1 cup in a 1.75 gallon batch. You can scale up for a 5 or 10 gallon, but have plenty on hand and keep adding till it taste like you want and then keg. :mug:

Back