first AG, slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWally

i'd rather be brewing
Reaction score
Hi all,

i am working on my first all-grain brew. i made Cream of 3 Crops, using the BIAB method. i tried to stay pretty faithful to the recipe.

i pitched US-05... it took until the next day to start. since then (6 days later) it still has a very thick layer of foam floating on the top. (krausen?)

the airlock is still visibly bubbling. Temps are right around 19C/66F

in my prior experience with extract kits and cooper's cans, the foam never ever hangs around this long.

does this sound normal ?

Yes. Let it go for 10-12 days. Don't look at foam or air lock. At day 10 take a hydro sample. Take another at day 12. If they match your done. If they don't wait two more days and take another sample. Repeat until they match. My guess is at day 10-12 you'll be done.

Later, when you're more experienced you'll be able to cut corners. Right now just let it ride.

Cheers!

Hi all,

i am working on my first all-grain brew. i made Cream of 3 Crops, using the BIAB method. i tried to stay pretty faithful to the recipe.

i pitched US-05... it took until the next day to start. since then (6 days later) it still has a very thick layer of foam floating on the top. (krausen?)

in my prior experience with extract kits and cooper's cans, the foam never ever hangs around this long.

does this sound normal ?

Yes it does. I did a Three Crops AG last summer, and had a "slow" start to fermintation, followed by a solid 12 days of active ferm...I let it ride a total of 16 days before bottling, it was perfect.

It's all good.

Cheers,
Vam

US05 slow start is 2 or 3 days. Slow to finish is 7-10 days. Then another few days to clear up.

There is nothing unusual here.

It is normal for the krausen produced by US-05 to stay quite a while. I'll usually take my first SG sample day 10 to 14. Second sample a few days later. By day 21 in the primary the beer has usually cleared and is ready for bottling. I'll let my beers clear in the primary for less sediment in the bottles.

I second what the rest said. I usually take my first reading at day 14 and then take a few readings more the next days.

This is a great thread. I am also on my first AG and am using US-05. My first extract was with US-05 and the ferm started at 4 hours and was done 4 days later. This batch took 15 hours to start (I woke in the middle of the night to check and it was not doing a thing and got worried) now five days later and it is still active with a thick krausen. I will probably take an SG reading this Sunday.

Hi all,

does this sound normal ?

Yeah US-05 acts like that with me too. Its not a good clearing yeast frankly. I cold crash and add gelatin. Works wonders. Notty clears very well but i grew tired of the yeast i like US-05 much better.

Unless you really want to make a short as possible to keg/bottle ipa, there really is no point to have such short turn-over times.
3 weeks is my usual before i even start thinking about bottling.

Back