First AG Batch Went Smooth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CromBrew

Reaction score
Well today marks my first attempt at an all grain batch of tasty Homebrew! The recipe was a original robust porter I posted a few weeks back. Overall it went really smooth. I couldn't get my mash up to 170 for a 10 minute mash-out. I'll have to try more H2O next time.

The sparge went great. Nothing stuck and my yield was good.

After plugging in my numbers it looks like I got 85.99% efficiency using a 10 gallon cooler set-up. Does that sound reasonable? I was shooting for 75%

Thanks in advance.

Eddie C

Congratulations. 86 percent is pretty high efficiency. However you'll learn that having consistent efficiency is better than high efficiency. It sucks to miss your target OG by 10 points. There are ways to recover of course, but it's always nice to be able to predict it and not have to make adjustments.

I had problems on my first mashout too. The calibrations I entered into Beersmith aren't perfect. I have just been increasinng the temp of my mashout water by 5 degrees. Mashing in general can be a trial and error process when using simple equipment.

Back