First AG Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerknapper

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for a couple years now but only from kits. I've thoroughly enjoyed brewing this way but after talking to my brewing buddies it seemed like all-grain was the way to go. I've been the assistant brewer for an all-grain batch before but this will be my first attempt as head brewer. My question is, how do you know by what malts to mix when making a recipe? And then how do you know what malts to use to make to fit in a certain beer genre? I'm thinking for my fist all-grain batch I should stick with a recipe from a seasoned all-grain brewer. I'd appreciate any insight you can give me.

Read, read, and read some more to lay down a basic understanding of what malts are out there, what they impart in a beer, and what styles they are common in. Once you begin to be comfortable with that practical experience will be your best friend...in time you will learn the differences pretty well...to the point that one 2-row is preferred over another 2-row. In the meantime, starting off with quality kits or well regarded recipes is an excellent way to go as you develop you knowledge of what to use and why.

If you are like me and hate to read, especially books... What helped me the most was to grab the BYO recipe magazine and a Clone Brews book and just find the beers that interested me and look at their recipes. Try to brew them, and compare with the original. Tweak a few things and see how it changes. I would have to say that if I could sit down for more than a minute that I'm sure the "Designing Great Beers" book would have helped and been a shorter process... but I like to experiment. Either way, read some books on the different ingredients, or pick a few recipes and read about the ingredients as you prepare to brew them. Do what interests you and enjoy the hobby!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm still learning the ropes of extract brewing, but I long for the thrill of an all grain brew. How long did it take folks before they felt like they really knew what they were doing? How many batches? I've got the bug pretty bad and I'm fighting the urge to start a new batch every week (well, that and being able to afford and actually drink it all).

Just curious what you homebrew pros think!

I'm going to quote Socrates here because well... he's quite the wise man. "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." You won't know everything either, and there is no magic "Ah ha!" moment. I went all grain after my first brew. Couldn't fight the urge, plus I love to build things. So it was a win/win for me. I learn something new each time I brew. I'm not a pro by any means, but I feel like I can make some pretty dang good beer. I was brewing every week and it was all I could think about just like you. Have fun with it! The more you do, the better you will get. :mug:

Back