First AG batch, absurdly high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleak

Reaction score
I've just brewed my first AG batch using Da Yooper's House Pale Ale recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/). Everything went remarkably well; I used 3.5 gallons of strike water for a 1.25 qt/lb ratio, hit my mash temperature of 154° F, collected 1.75 gallons of wort, sparged with 4.5 gallons at 170° F to end up with 6.25 gallons in the brew kettle. Boiled for 1 hour, cooled the wort down to 70° F in 15 minutes with my homemade immersion chiller, then took a hydrometer reading as I was racking into the fermentor. I assumed there was something wrong with my hydrometer when it read an OG of 1.142, but a second hydrometer read exactly the same, and they both read 1.000 with plain water.

I didn't have any sterilized water handy to dilute the wort with, so I went ahead and pitched my starter of WLP-001. All I can figure is the boil must have been too hot (I kept two 1500w heatsticks going throughout), but I'm estimating there's only 4 gallons of wort sitting in my carboy. Is it possible to boil off 2.25 gallons in one hour?

It's happily fermenting now. Here's my question: should I add a gallon of sterilized water when I rack into the secondary for dryhopping, or should I just bottle it and call it a barleywine?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone would like to contribute...

There is either something wrong with your hydrometer, or your reading. Even accounting for the difference in volume, 1.142 is just absurdly high. If you had managed to accidentally make a batch of the same potential with only 4 gallons, you'd only be looking at around 1.072 OG...

Unless you accidentally used too much grain or something weird like that.

Oh wait...

I was looking at the Brix reading.

Never mind.

Nothing like making of fool of myself on one of my first posts...

Back