First aeration attempt with O2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
So I am finally deciding to step out of my comfort zone and give up the stirring to aerate and replace it with an O2 tank. In addition to this, I have given up plastic buckets and have switched to strictly glass carboys.

So here is my question:

In order to avoid a huge mess from getting my wort into the primary (which is now going to be a glass carboy), I have attached a nipple (for lack of a better word - plus I like nipples!) to the spigot of my brew kettle. I will attach a hose to that to drain the wort into the carboy. With the bucket I never had to worry about it because it was such a large opening it just poured in there from the brew kettle.

If I am using an O2 tank and regulator to aerate will that suffice or will I still need to shake/stir the wort as well since it won't really be aerating itself now that I am draining it through a hose into a carboy?

Does that make sense? Please feel free to let me know if I'm a complete idiot.

Thanks!

You are a complete idiot .. Just kidding. Must people use a funnel to get the wort from the brewpot to the glass carboys this way you can pour it kinda fast and this will help aerate the wort. To go from a primary to a seconday siphoning would be the best way. As far as o2 goes I couldnt give you too much insight on that because I have never done it but aerating with o2 alone should be good I believe. Check this out it has good info on aerating http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/7-aeration/1949-aerating-wort-techniques

I use a stainless steel air stone and o2, before I pitch. Then I after I pitch I swirl it around. Works great.

What you're doing is great. I move the wort from the BK into the carboy through a chiller, then use a stone and O2 to aerate in the carboy for a minute or two, then pitch. Works perfectly.

I go from brew pot to carboy via a tube and aerate with a stainless aerator & o2 bottle do 30 seconds. Works very well for me. Beats trying to shake a glass carboy filled with 40lbs of beer.

Back