Firefox 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustDave

Reaction score
Anyone using it? I downloaded Beta 2 today. Haven't had a chance to fully explore all the new features, but it's not bad so far.

They have a "Most Visited" folder, and 5 of the 10 links it lists are from HBT. Not sure if that's a problem or not. :D

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Where is the most visited thing? Im experimenting with it also.
It created a folder called "Smart Bookmarks" on my Bookmarks toolbar. And it's under that folder ...

DaveyBoy said:
Man, they sell everything there!

I sense that my point was missed. :)

Using Fx 3 right now. It certainly looks.. Similar. :) I cleared my profile folder because I like testing everything in default mode.

Other than the smart bookmark feature, anything else to checkout?

Kevin Dean said:
I sense that my point was missed. :)

Using Fx 3 right now. It certainly looks.. Similar. :) I cleared my profile folder because I like testing everything in default mode.

Other than the smart bookmark feature, anything else to checkout?
haha. I edited it after the fact to put in the smiley so you'd know I was joking.

They've supposedly worked on some of the memory issues, which should be a big help. I know FF2 is a huge memory hog on my machine.

And the display box to show links you've already visited (when you type a link into the address bar) is pretty neat too.

DaveyBoy said:
haha. I edited it after the fact to put in the smiley so you'd know I was joking.

I figured. :)

DaveyBoy said:
They've supposedly worked on some of the memory issues, which should be a big help. I know FF2 is a huge memory hog on my machine.

Personally, Firefox (or more specifically, Iceweasel, a rebranded version maintained by Debian) has never been a memory problem for me. I'm not sure if Debian fixed something, or if the "memory hog" problems so often spoken of are Windows native but I've never been drawn to the fact that there's a memory issue on my systems.

DaveyBoy said:
the display box to show links you've already visited (when you type a link into the address bar) is pretty neat too.

It seems to function the same, no? It autocompletes like it did in Fx2. The differences I see are that it contains the title of the page next to it (and takes up 3x as much space). Is it the title that you're thinking about? I can imagine that might be useful to some people... I am so used to recalling "bits and pieces" about my URIs that I tend not to have problems backtracking. In some cases, this could actually get quite annoying - HBT itself (after 30 minutes or so of browsing) fills that list and consumes about half of my screen. I also can't take a screenshot with the addressbar pulled down (but that may be a KSnapshot bug or X focus issue itself).

What I DO notice is that the UI doesn't suck! I've got big "X"'s on my tabs, and the back button looks very much like Tango icons do. I've been reading about how they've been trying to get the UI to look like whatever OS you're using and there was controversy about GNU/Linux since there are several UIs.

Anyway, I think they did a decent job here. Using gtk-qt-engine this looks pretty nice in KDE. I'll have to see what it looks like at home.

OH! "Good Feature Alert"

CTRL-+ zooms in on everything, like IE7 does. :) IE stole tabs, we stole that. :)

I'm going to have to build this at home, I like it quite a bit. Thanks for inspiring me to stop being lazy and actually get around to this.

Edit: Another good feature!

In the "address bar" you can type in URI's like usual, and they autocomplete, but you can ALSO search for page titles. Typing in "Firefox 3" pulls up this thread. :)

The new password system only remembers your passwords if it's ACTUALLY a valid password.

It is what we use and I dont get the Norton always popping up telling me something is trying to invade me like it did with IE and it Browses a lot faster as well.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I think I remember that in FF2.

In Firefox 2 that key command increases text size only. This way, when you "zoom in" you actually keep the formatting of the page rather than having things wrap oddly or over-extend their divs.

Kevin Dean said:
In Firefox 2 that key command increases text size only. This way, when you "zoom in" you actually keep the formatting of the page rather than having things wrap oddly or over-extend their divs.

Ya now that you say that I remember the distortion.

orfy said:
Do you know if it is compatible with the imageshack tool bar plug in?

I tested for ya.

I get the message when attempting to install it "This add on will not be installed because it does not support secure updates."

Can someone else confirm this for me?

Austin Home Brew Supply website does NOT load in the GNU/Linux version of Minefield (Firefox 3 from CVS). Is this the same with Firefox 3 betas or the Windows or Mac series of operating systems?

Back