Fire Marshall encounter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was concerned enough to take a picture. I'm sure you'll get some kind of response.

Yeh, he shook my hand twice... that's why I pulled out the fire extinguisher as soon as he drove away. ;)

I think he was really concerned.

He just couldn't cite a reason to stop him.

He was concerned enough to take a picture. I'm sure you'll get some kind of response.

True...possible he just took a pic as reference to pull out some arcane building code to send you a letter about what you're doing wrong. In my experience, if it was something as straightforward as propane under a roof, he would have just told you. But, not sure how things typically operate in your municipality.

not sure how things typically operate in your municipality.

Well, this is California where the state catches on fire every summer. I think the laws are about as tight as you can imagine. For example, fireworks are illegal in my county.

I thought propane tank under a roof was a no-no.

Possibly, but then he'd have to track down and cite every homeowner with a backyard patio.

No question he didn't "like" what he saw. He would not have stopped.

He just couldn't cite a legal/enforceable reason to make it stop.

yeh, I think I'll be brewing in the back yard more often. The visibility from the street is what got his attention.

My cousin is a fireman that does a lot of inspections, I can show him the picture if you would like to see what he thinks. Granted, we are in KY, so our regulations are a lot looser I'm sure. But he might have some insight from his perspective.

My guess would be that if you have a fire extinguisher handy and are always present, there's no problem.

Difficulties arise when you leave the area where you have a propane burner on a wooden brew stand.

At one level, using a propane burner in an open garage is little different than having a gas stove in the house--except in the house, it's enclosed.

PS: If I were you, I'd consider inviting him over for a brew day, maybe offer him a beer if he helps. :)

Why did the Fire Marshall show up at your home in the first place? Did he just happen to drive by? Did one of your neighbors squeal on you?

I'm so glad my induction heating system is "bound" to the indoors, no-one knows what I'm doing. I removed all the glass graduates from the window sill too, just in case...

Why didn't you just ask him if he thought it was illegal or he felt it was dangerous? It could have ben he initially thought like one of my neighbors I was frying turkeys all the time, which would be really stupid in the garage.

[...]At one level, using a propane burner in an open garage is little different than having a gas stove in the house--except in the house, it's enclosed.[...]

The significant difference is that propane cylinder has a PRV that could decide today was a good day to fail.
In an enclosed space (like a garage - even with an open door) that could be pretty darned exciting for all involved...

Cheers!

I can't believe that nobody else has realized that he was just hoping for FREE SAMPLES!

He's a dude, like any other dude. He digs beer. He's driving by, sees what is obviously a discriminating brewing operation underway, and stops in to make nice and see if he can score a sixer for the fridge. Just hopin' for a cold one after a hard day of saving lives, and whatnot.

...and you sent him away empty-handed. Meanie.

Looks like your stand has wheels and appears your driveway is level, why not pull it a few out and brew outdoors. It is my number 1 outdoors hobby :tank:

Yeah, I'd have to guess that unless you're just really unlucky and he happened to be driving by while you were brewing, that one of your neighbors probably called something suspicious in like, "I don't know what this guy is doing, but he's got a big open flame on top of a wooden stand inside his garage."

No idea what the codes are in your particular area, but seems possible that the photo could serve as backing evidence for whatever cease and desist letter they send you in the near future.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if it was too big of a problem he would have probably done something right then. I'd probably try to move the thing outside and brew there for a while.

Even though it is on a raised platform, there should be more concern about the water heater's pilot light in an enclosed room with gasoline storage for lawn mowers and vehicles.

It is actually OK per code to have, for example, a water heater in a garage as long as the pilot and burner are 18" above the floor (or I guess really should say it was the last time I looked).

I've seen plenty of discussion on killer carboys; has no-one posted on the day they set their house on fire? Seriously though, I suspect many of us have had a mishap or two related to open flame, carbon monoxide, or leaky propane. Not saying that I think there's any significant risk in this situation but sometimes people don't think things through very well. Myself included. I was using a dishtowel as a potholder to adjust my BK and caught it on fire brewing in the back yard. No beer lost and no-one was injured but the towel was toast.

IDK why he took a picture but I assume he's going to use it for something. I'd also assume that if you were doing something wrong, dangerous or against code, he would have said something.
I'd brew in the backyard for a while or maybe give/offer a few bottles to your neighbors so they know you're legit and not doing anything wrong. You're just a nice homebrewer who's wrongly misunderstood... :tank:

He probably thought you were making meth. Lol!

Fire_Marshall_Bill_by_Kaotik1302.jpg

He probably took the picture to share at the next fire marshal convention-Look what this knucklehead is doing in his garage!

I had my Local - City Building inspector in my Basement to 'Sign off'
on all the work done - my Basement Brewery is Legal !!

And while he was in my basement - i invited him into my house for this inspection.....

He saw that i have a Neon Sign, hanging on my basement as well.

Thankfully it was NOT on - as in this pic

But he told me 'those are against code' - 220 v transformers are fire hazard
"not allowed in residential" properties for that reason

He did not give me a ticket - or take a pic
As it was NOT on

He just warned me, to never leave it on - and Alone

2 cents - I think you are in the clear.... My guy didn't want a problem
He was there as per my request - so I don't think he could do anything but warn me.

Now - when my basement Bar/theater gets finished - and he has to come back.....
I should be smart enough to move the sign to my detached garage - and if i am not - well then i deserve the "Fine".

IMG_4830.jpg

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that fire marshalls are not the first responders if someone reports a possible meth lab. I could be wrong, but I'd think they'd send the police for that. My guess is that either you were just really unlucky and he happened to be rolling by while you were brewing, saw a fire in your garage and figured he should check it out, or one of your neighbors reported you were doing something unsafe with fire in your garage. Either way, if it were a serious infraction, he would have given you a citation right then or called the police if you were doing something totally illegal.

I probably wouldn't sweat it too much since he left you alone, but don't be surprised if you get a letter or follow-up visit if he thought there was an issue. Just keep it friendly, and remember, these folks' jobs is not to prevent you from doing things you want to do, but rather to make sure you're doing so in a safe manner.

I think other people who are saying, "He probably thought you were making meth!" are kidding, but seriously, I bet some neighbor has watched too much Breaking Bad.

But he told me 'those are against code' - 220 v transformers are fire hazard
"not allowed in residential" properties for that reason

I think that's BS. Were 220 V a fire hazzard "Scotland's Burning" would be a reality, not just a children's song and the rest of Europe, Asia and the US would be covered too. Besides this neon signs use much higher voltages than 220 - typically in the kV (just as the TV and computer monitors you had in your house up to a few years ago did).

The only thing a cursory look at the code turns up is that there must be an easily accessible disconnecting means (switch) that controls no other load that can be used to turn the sign off. If this ever comes up again ask for chapter and verse. You may have a local regulation that is more restrictive than the NEC. My take on that is that if it is safe enough for your insurance company it is safe enough for me.

My take on that is that if it is safe enough for your insurance company it is safe enough for me.

I never said my Insurance Company knew about the Neon Sign !:D

They didn't ask, i didn't tell !

Its an old sign from a famous bar that was in Detroit years ago.
I restored it - paid to have it repaired.
And it has New ( new in 2002 ) transformers = 110v house hold to 240v i guess

I am not worried about it - I only turn it on when i am brewing in my basement.

The Inspector didn't seem to concerned either..... He was pretty low key about it.

S

Exactly... or indoors all electric :)

Land of Liberty... yeah.

I think it's best not to let anyone from the gummint know about what you are doing with respect to any aspect of your life. This is getting hard to do. Same goes for nosy neighbors. Brew in your back yard behind a screen.

Back