Finished beer too sweet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a clone of 120 min ipa from dogfishhead and it ended up too sweet. Is there anything I can do to cut the sweetness? Will barrel aging help at all?

Did you get a gravity sample? What was the OG? I'm assuming you added a lot of dextrose during fermentation. Did you create a big starter?

Did you get a gravity sample? What was the OG? I'm assuming you added a lot of dextrose during fermentation. Did you create a big starter?
I started with a 1.132. Day two 1.112, day three 1.064 fed it dextrose(didn’t have a scale just eyed 6oz) didn’t use a starter just pitched extra viles of 099. Was feeding it twice a day with 6oz each feeding. It would raise hundredths point after every feeding, then eat an equal amount every 12ish hours. On the 6th day after secondary yeast I got impatient and feed it more than 6oz killing of the last of my 5lb bag of sugar and reading at 1.054. Didn’t take reading for two days and on the third it was at 1.058. So I guess I shocked the yeast on that last over feeding and it crapped out. Let it sit for a week on the yeast and then racked it twice and have kegged and forced carbed some of it. Smells amazing, hop presence is there, and you can smell how hot it is with alcohol, but it just to sweet up front.

Now I’m not trying to fix my mistakes in brewing the beer, I’m trying to find possible ways to reduce sweetness currently. Will barreling it help? Will dry hopping it more help?

The best solution is to brew another very dry beer (but similar flavor) and blend it to taste.
Barrel aging or aging in general will help subdue the hot alcohol notes, but the residual sugar will remain.
Since you already used a high ABV yeast, adding more yeast to get the fermentation going isn't going to help.

If I'm reading your post right the FG is 1.058? That is ridiculously high. I like mad scientist's post above but I would dump it as an FG like that sounds undrinkable. You're also going to oxidise the crap out of it with the blending. Barreling and more hops won't do much. Life's too short to drink a failed beer (I've dumped a 60 minute clone that finished too high).

If I'm reading your post right the FG is 1.058? That is ridiculously high. I like mad scientist's post above but I would dump it as an FG like that sounds undrinkable. You're also going to oxidise the crap out of it with the blending. Barreling and more hops won't do much. Life's too short to drink a failed beer (I've dumped a 60 minute clone that finished too high).
Thanks. I was hoping for some ray of light, but honestly this what I assumed.

What do you think the OG was? You started with X gallons at 1.132, added Y lbs of sugar, and ended up with Z gallons. This may be useful to help you.

Can't tell if you are talking about a couple of gallons, or a full 5 gallon batch.

I agree with 'madscientist', if it tastes OK, split it in two and mix with some low gravity wort and effectively turn it into a brew with about half the original OG. If you blend with wort rather than beer, the yeast action should scrub most of any O2 that you may pick up. You might not even need any new yeast, but I suspect you will.

What do you think the OG was? You started with X gallons at 1.132, added Y lbs of sugar, and ended up with Z gallons. This may be useful to help you.

Can't tell if you are talking about a couple of gallons, or a full 5 gallon batch.

I agree with 'madscientist', if it tastes OK, split it in two and mix with some low gravity wort and effectively turn it into a brew with about half the original OG. If you blend with wort rather than beer, the yeast action should scrub most of any O2 that you may pick up. You might not even need any new yeast, but I suspect you will.
Thanks for the tips. I really like the idea of doing another dryer batch, as to not waste the original.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch and spent nearly $100, save the money spent on materials for all grain.

I currently have a 1 gallon batch brewed with LME and I am aiming to corrrect my mistakes and shoot for a lower FG.
Thanks to everyone who has chimes in.

I keep hearing concerns of oxygen. But I also keep reading this yeast strain needs aerated wort. I don’t have an oxygen set up, but I do have an electric whisk(aero latte). Is this an awful idea for aerating the wort and secondary yeast(wl099) when I pitch?

I keep hearing concerns of oxygen. But I also keep reading this yeast strain needs aerated wort. I don’t have an oxygen set up, but I do have an electric whisk(aero latte). Is this an awful idea for aerating the wort and secondary yeast(wl099) when I pitch?

Sorry, I can't help, never tried to make a Utopia. Max I've ever tried to do was a 14% Barleywine. I did need to use a second yeast for it. I made a half gallon starter, aerated the starter and pitched it at high kareusen. I did not re-aerate the main beer.

I'm still drinking that beer 8 years on, and tastes great.

Back