Fining cider - huge gelatin waste layer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexadecimus

Reaction score
I'm still making cider but I'm really dissatisfied with the amount of waste from finings. After primary stopped precipitating, I racked to secondary and cold crashed for a month. Nothing was falling out of suspension after the first week, so I used kiesel/gelatin. I'd ordered the kit thinking it was kieselsol/chitosan but didn't want it to go to waste.

I ended up with what seems like a HUGE layer. I'm hoping that kiesel/chitosan will leave less waste. There was only a few mm of lees at most in my secondary before this. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent such a bulky waste layer with gelatin?

This all really depends on your process. We need a bit more info here. What did you start with (bottled juice, bottled cider, fresh pressed cider)? What strain of yeast did you use and how much? These things will contribute to the turbidity (particulates in suspension) and if you started with a highly turbid process you are going to have a larger volume of gunk when you knock it out.

5 gallons of commercial cider and 5 grams of EC-1118. The cider sediment precipitated out in primary.

Back