F'ing cat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you are a diy electronics person, you could always rig up an ir led and ir receiver (break beam sensor) to a simple controller and something to scare them off. Water hose or loudspeaker. Or yeah just cage it and give it to animal control.

While I do not advocate the BB gun approach I must say I am live and let live with most things except cats...

We have lovely bird life in out suburb and the menace that are cats wandering around decimate local wildlife... seriously you don't see other domestic animals wandering around off leash on others property?

Oh and that vid rocks...

I would trap it and then let it sit in the trap until the owner notices it's missing. If they never notice, well..........

I had a mouse have-a-heart trap that I used to put in the eves of my house (cape cod). Unfortunately, in the winter the mouse would freeze to death prior to me seeing it in the trap. I guess that wasn't very have-a-heart like, eh?

Edit: My cat (now about 15 years old) used to be an outdoor cat and patrol my property. Now that he's indoor only (too old and I got tired of taking him to the vet due to fights), the rabbits and ground hogs have returned to my yard and garden. He's also too old to be much of a mouser, and they are a real pain in the ...

Well if you are a diy electronics person, you could always rig up an ir led and ir receiver (break beam sensor) to a simple controller and something to scare them off. Water hose or loudspeaker. Or yeah just cage it and give it to animal control.

I have a friend (electronics engineer) who wired up a shock device with a capacitor that he used at his (ex) girlfriends house to keep the cat from going up on the counters at night.

I advocate water (hose, squirt gun, whatever) and talking to the owner.

The situation clearly needs to be dealt with, albeit in a civilized manner.

I feel about dogs (past bad experiences) like a lot of folks here seem to feel about cats. If I advocated shooting my neighbor's unleashed dog, I somehow think the response would be less than pleasant. Just saying, whether you like cats/dogs/wildebeest/etc or not, its not OK to perpetrate violence or cruelty.

My cat trouble started last winter. We would notice them on the deck. This spring we started finding cat crap on the deck and tons in the grass where the girls play all day. Talked to the neighbors on both sids and the same thing is happining to them. Lately the girls have been chucking ice cubes at em and I've been pelting them with the wrist rocket and ice cubes but I think the can of antifreeze tainted tuna fish is coming out..

Personally I think a potential death sentence for pooping in your yard is a bit stiff. How about an airhorn?

A labatt brewerie used to be 2 blocks away from me before they tore it down.. lets just say the 1 mile radius had a HUGE rat problem after that.. if it werent for the neighborhood cats we would still have rats everywhere. we also had skunks at one point, the cats would stalk them and make them feel uncomfortable, eventually making them find a better place to stink up..
cats do good sometimes, you might notice a rise in other critters once kitty is gone

I advocate water (hose, squirt gun, whatever) and talking to the owner.

The situation clearly needs to be dealt with, albeit in a civilized manner.

I feel about dogs (past bad experiences) like a lot of folks here seem to feel about cats. If I advocated shooting my neighbor's unleashed dog, I somehow think the response would be less than pleasant. Just saying, whether you like cats/dogs/wildebeest/etc or not, its not OK to perpetrate violence or cruelty.

You're absolutely right. I know I personally could watch someone who has abused a dog undergo several hours of torture and beatings while eating a sandwich. I'd sleep like a baby that night as well. Neither my sleep nor my digestion would suffer.

With that said, crap in one's yard is unpleasant, so I'd say the airhorn or hose method of scaring the crap out of the critter would be ok. I dont like crying babies on the train when I'm tired, and I shouldnt *have* to leave the car and find another quieter place to stand on my way to work, but thats life, doesnt mean I slap ducttape on the baby's mouth...

Also, if you dropped the havahart trap on their front porch with a note (and yes, a little water so the little bastard doesnt die in a 2x2 cage like a offering to Kali Mata), that sounds reasonable too.

Darwin18 said:
That is a terrible way to die. I guess it's probably easier for you to poison somebody's pet than try to talk to the owner about it.

Yeah, I'm not serious and that kind of person but that's just how I feel about it... Talking to the owner about it is out of the question as they dont speak english!!

Have you tried running outside in your underwear and screaming at it?

It worked for those dang kids being on my lawn.

Of course I'm typing this from a correctional facility, but that is unrelated.

Stupid pants at malls law. If I didn't need pants why would I go to the mall? Where's the logic on that one state of Texas?

You're absolutely right. I know I personally could watch someone who has abused a dog undergo several hours of torture and beatings while eating a sandwich. I'd sleep like a baby that night as well. Neither my sleep nor my digestion would suffer.

I agree with you and hate people who are cruel to animals. With that said, There have been times when the neighbors stupid yappy dog is barking at 3 am I have been tempted to throw a hot dog loaded with rat poison over the wall. Or at least a few sleeping pills. Lack of sleep makes you think crazy thoughts. I would never do it but the though helps me get to sleep... at least until he starts barking again. :mad:

I agree with you and hate people who are cruel to animals. With that said, There have been times when the neighbors stupid yappy dog is barking at 3 am I have been tempted to throw a hot dog loaded with rat poison over the wall. Or at least a few sleeping pills. Lack of sleep makes you think crazy thoughts. I would never do it but the though helps me get to sleep... at least until he starts barking again. :mad:

Hey I hear ya. Luckily for me the neighborhood bowwows tend to cut it out after a short time (plus I once slept through a hurricane, if that gives you any indication of how sound a sleeper I am).

Short of getting into a bruhaha with the neighbor or calling authorities or what have you, have you considered a white noise machine? I know you SHOULDNT HAVE TO spend money on one, but they are actually pretty cheap and last a long time... work well too...

All of the "scaring off" tactics, i.e. water, air guns, noisemakers and the like, are temporary and only work when there is someone here. The little facker always comes back.

Motion sensing devices won't work because of the wind. The tech geek in me wants to build an automated system with infra-red tracking and lasers driven by high-speed servos. But that cost one helluvalot more than $25. Plus, I don't think you can set real lasers to stun...

I don't believe that that talking to the owner will do anything to remedy the situation. She's a crazy cat lady with half a dozen cats. Her only option would be to not let that specific cat go out of the house. That would be impossible.

I'll look into the white noise thing, thanks.

Have you talked to the neighbors? Do they complain about the same thing? My first thought would be to set out antifreeze, as has already been discussed. But I also REALLY REALLY dislike cats. I grew up in a farming community, and while we never had a rodent problem, cats became the problem. But I digress. Antifreeze is obviously not the problem. As a humane measure, water theoretically would work well, but not when you are travelling. My other thought would be to set up a motion activated siren, but I imagine the neighbors wouldn't like that too much, especially when you are away. But on the other hand, you could also set up a bunch of REALLY bright motion sensing lights. My theory is that if you make your problem their problem, it would get resolved a lot quicker. And you have the excuse that you are doing it for security purposes. But this is also assuming that the cats come around primarily at night. Also assuming you have talked to the owner as well.

Whatever the solution, good luck. I know if it were me, I'd have the pellet gun out. But that goes back to cats actually being a disease problem.

Could you electrify your fence for it?

+5... Maybe put it on a rheostat, so have it just enough to get it's attention, but not kill it (at first)... If it keeps going into your yard, start increasing the power level on the fence every few days. Eventually it should stop, even if it's a ball of fur on top of the fence. :eek:

A stock fence sounds like the solution! Just make sure its inside your boundaries for the applicable laws... otherwise, crazy cat lady will sue. And make sure if by some chance the cat gets in, it cant get out.. which is where taking it out somewhere remote and digging a hole comes into hand. You may need a good spade!!!

Alas, I have a block wall, not a fence.

Run a metal band along the top of the wall for the f'ing cat to walk on (or touch)... Or top the wall with broken bottles or razor wire coils... :D Or just put out the trap for the damned thing and then call animal control. Tell them who's cat it is so they contact them right away. If they don't get the cat in time, well, your main problem is solved. The owner probably won't talk to you again, which could be a side bonus. :D

Citronella oil. just thought of it, no animal likes the smell except maybe koalas... and i figure you arent over-run with them! Unless you grow a crapload of hops; and live in aust.. then it could be something.

I find myself really enjoying this thread!

I own a cat, and I have to admit that I really despise the little bastards. I had a neighborhood cat start fighting with my declawed indoor cat at the patio door, started clawing at the screen, shredded the hell out of it and got in the house, I had a full blown cat fight inside my house!

The cat escaped before I could get hold of it.

That was the last time we crated the dogs at night.

We have a dog door with the collars so only the dogs can use it, a few weeks after this went down the cat was back at the screen to our bedroom window, dog spotted it, dog made it to the cat before cat got to the wall.

Problem solved.

Trap it in a live trap & keep it in a cage, but alive & fed. Take a photo & print up a flyer with the pic of the cat; saying basiclly this:

"I have your cat, it won't stay off my property. If you ever want to see it alive again, claim it, swear to keep it out of my yard & pay a fee of $50. If I see it in my yard again, It dies."

You could make it look like the clasic "ransom note" with letters cut from magazines. You may not want to snuff the cat, but the owner doesn't know that.
Or you could use some non-toxic hair dye & turn it blue, or hot pink or green; then let it go with a note on it's collar saying "next time this cat trespasses on my property, it dies." Again, the owner doesn't know you won't snuff the cat.
Regards, GF.

Trap it in a live trap & keep it in a cage, but alive & fed. Take a photo & print up a flyer with the pic of the cat; saying basiclly this:

"I have your cat, it won't stay off my property. If you ever want to see it alive again, claim it, swear to keep it out of my yard & pay a fee of $50. If I see it in my yard again, It dies."
You could make it look like the clasic "ransom note" with letters cut from magazines. You may not want to snuff the cat, but the owner doesn't know that.

This sounds like a good way to end up on the news.

Or you could use some non-toxic hair dye & turn it blue, or hot pink or green; then let it go with a note on it's collar saying "next time this cat trespasses on my property, it dies." Again, the owner doesn't know you won't snuff the cat.
Regards, GF.

This one is genius. Dye that sucker neon pink and make sure the owner knows that its because the cat is a menace. If that doesnt work, trap it and drop it off 40 miles away. PLEASE DO NOT FEED IT ANTIFREEZE. Shooting it would be more humaine.

Oh, and it's a cat. I hate cats. Seems like most people I know do. I have a complete hatred for them b/c my SWMBO has asthma and a horrific allergy to cats. Close quarters and ER here we come.

Forget the bb gun, grab a 22 and do some target practice. Your lawn will be cat shvt free before you know it.

Try feeding the remains to a local coyote. Everyone hypes eating locally sourced food these days...

I sympathize with your situation and hope you can find a non-lethal or painful way to deal with it. It sounds like the sprinkler may work best.

As far as the suggestions to kill the cat or otherwise harm it, this is not only illegal but downright screwed up. If I found out anybody shot my cat because he wandered in to their yard, I can guarantee that the retribution would be fast and brutal. In your case, buddy I would most likely do trhe following:

1. Kick your ass up and down the block.
2. Force feed your girlfriend cat hair and dander.

Then I would start the real harassment.

Live and let live. I understand your issue, but please respect other people's animals. The sprinkler thing is fine, lavender is great. But ****ing up someone else's animals, not cool at all.

Haha dude it was a joke. Get with the program... pretty sure 22 caliber rifles aren't legal in downtown Chicago anyways... on with life lol

Oh, and if you force fed my pregnant wife cat hair it would be one of your last acts. Just sayin'

Haha dude it was a joke. Get with the program... pretty sure 22 caliber rifles aren't legal in downtown Chicago anyways... on with life lol

Oh, and if you force fed my pregnant wife cat hair it would be one of your last acts. Just sayin'

Touche buddy.

I guess I shouldn't of brought up the antifreeze tainted tuna and went with shooting it and throwing it into a busy street to look like a accident.. Sorry, that's just what I feel like doing not that that's what I will do... Bwahahaha, bwahaha, bwahahah

Hire these guys

SC20120516-121901.jpeg

I sympathize with your situation and hope you can find a non-lethal or painful way to deal with it. It sounds like the sprinkler may work best.

As far as the suggestions to kill the cat or otherwise harm it, this is not only illegal but downright screwed up. If I found out anybody shot my cat because he wandered in to their yard, I can guarantee that the retribution would be fast and brutal. In your case, buddy I would most likely do trhe following:

1. Kick your ass up and down the block.
2. Force feed your girlfriend cat hair and dander.

Then I would start the real harassment.

Live and let live. I understand your issue, but please respect other people's animals. The sprinkler thing is fine, lavender is great. But ****ing up someone else's animals, not cool at all.

:D You guys might as well be on XBOX live saying "I'll kick your a$$". Those guys crack me up just like you two are.

Back