Pet Dumping....... dispicable humans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I live many miles from the nearest town, and that's a small town, and about 100 miles from the nearest "city" (about 60K population).
A perfect place for city folks to "lose" their unwanted pet.

Cats are the most commonly dumped animal, and they go feral quickly, and are well adapted to live on small rodents, etc. They aren't a problem for that reason, and cause no harm, but they do not end up being adopted by a loving country family. Suddenly on their own, abandoned by the people they trusted, they go feral. They lose their trust in humanity, and live by their wild instincts. They have short lives, usually with a violent end. An owl, a bobcat, etc usually makes a meal of them. Their vaccinations run out, and they suffer from the various feline diseases. The once spoiled house pets meet a miserable end.

Dogs don't last long at all. Some are smart enough to find a home among other stock dogs, others start running with other stray dogs, and ultimately find their end from a bullet. A dog that's running loose will pack up with other stray dogs, and harass and kill livestock......... I shoot them, other people shoot them. Dogs are poorly adapted to foraging, and draw attention to themselves ultimately ending up dead as a result.

DON'T DUMP YOUR PETS........... Nobody likes to see them suffer, or to kill them.

I have a cat visiting these last few days.......... an obviously recently abandoned pet. A well groomed attractive animal, who has not yet entirely lost his trust of humans. He'll get the occasional hand out from me, but will not last long around here. It would not be difficult to return him to domesticity, but I don't want a pet, and nobody around here does, so he will have to follow the regular path to becoming a feral cat if he survives the neighbor's two dogs who hunt and kill cats whenever he lets them out.......

H.W.

Last edited:
I'm afraid the Craig's list give away is not a good option, a least in areas where equally despicable dog fighting takes place. Those free pets often become bait dogs which are mistreated then offered up to be viciously attacked.
Some people just suck. I know of instances where perfectly healthy cats were brought to a vet to be euthanized because they no longer matched the furniture.
Pets are a long time commitment, not living decor. They poop and vomit, scratch and chew, as well as making good companions, anyone not willing to deal with the negatives should not get a pet.

"Some people just suck."

Yes. Yes, they do.
I'd rather lose a finger or hand than give up my animals.
I used to know a guy from years back who drunkenly bragged he'd dumped animals off overpasses into oncoming trucks - for fun. Miserable f*cking human he was, in more ways than this alone. Simply being in the presence of certain people pains me - "vibes", some call it, and this guy gave them off in spades.
Years later I found he was sending out "feelers", job-hunting among people who knew him in the past. Recommendations didn't come easily in my line of work - and in his case - I conveniently "forgot" he'd asked.
Karma's a b*ch.

"Some people just suck."

Yes. Yes, they do.
I used to know a guy from years back who drunkenly bragged he'd dumped animals off overpasses into oncoming trucks - for fun. Miserable f*cking human he was, in more ways than this alone. Simply being in the presence of certain people pains me - "vibes", some call it, and this guy gave them off in spades.
Karma's a b*ch.
That POS belongs in jail. Sorry, not sorry. Despicable people that would torture, mistreat and kill animals are just one step away from doing the same to people. But, I don't imagine the drunken ramblings and bragging would be enough for prosecution.

fark_fleeLXHICSch6yA80-4ryrCp5AQ.jpg

My dad lost his dog Whiz last year and grieved for days. Animals are like family for us ... birds, dogs, cats.
The dog was a large mix of Lab and Boxer weighing over 100lbs. A very intimidating wuss who kept the house free of unwanted visitors. Whiz had his own couch and if you sat in his space, he would knock your arse off the couch.... :D
When my dad was in the hospital for a few days, the dog would lie in his recliner and whine.
Click on the thumbnail to get an idea of his size. He's missed, definitely.
Yeah, Whiz was adopted as most of our "kids" are.

moose.jpg

Last edited:
My wife grew up along a a rural stretch of highway and had many folks "lose" their pets at her house.

Same with my folks. This is how my dad ended up with his latest housecat, Miss Monkey.
Someone dumped a box of small cats on the highway in front of his house. One survived and he scooped her up out of the front yard.

All three of our dogs are rescued and Very much loved family members. All of the cats we have had over the years were strays we brought into out home and they were loving pets as well. We just can't understand why some people feel animals are disposable items to be thrown away when its no longer convenient to keep them. Makes me very angry to see these animals abandoned.

Now, of you'll excuse me, I'm going to leave the thread and cheer myself up a bit because being angry can wind me up and suck the energy away.
There are a couple of Paulaner Salvator doppelbocks lined up with a snack waiting. :)

Prosit!

It takes a pretty low person to drive miles out of town to the country to dump an animal instead of dropping it off at a nearby shelter.

It takes a pretty low person to drive miles out of town to the country to dump an animal instead of dropping it off at a nearby shelter.

Haunting shelters can be painful, but it's a good way to find pets.

Pets can have a transformative effect on your character. As I got older and gained family, I realized having animals around is good for kids. Owning pets gives an appreciation for life, builds empathy, and can help social skills. Some people will never get that responsibility and it's a pitiful loss on their part.

This is a new angle but same old crap from OP. Usually he starts off with a winded rant about a stray or neighbors dog and how he plans on murdering it. This time, he takes a stab at empathy by posing as an animal lover in the beginning but then still sneaks in there how he shoots strays.

How about either trying to take the animal to a shelter or contacting animal control? Not all strays are abandoned. There might actually be a very sad family looking for their lost pet. The last time I found a stray, I put her in my car and took her to my vet to have her scanned. An hour later, a tearful owner was there reuniting with her loved one.

The nerve to say "nobody likes to kill them" when that is exactly what he claims to do as if there aren't any other options.

Here's Molly on her way back to reunite with her family. Luckily I found her before one of the Owly's of the world.
IMG_4603.JPG

I've read that piece, and it is my opinion that the airline was not responsible for the girl flushing the hampster at all. Someone may have made an offhand comment, such as "you can go flush it for all I care, but you are not allowed to carry it on the plane." ........... But it's not even remotely likely that her story of being directed to flush the animal is true. That act is her responsibility alone, and she's trying to place the blame on someone else in my opinion. Nothing about the story rings true, except for her flushing the hampster. People are great at making things up, particularly when they feel guilty themselves.

H.W.

I'm more inclined to believe she cared more about agitating public opinion against the airlines.
If she'd actually cared as much as she claims about animals, she could've simply left the plane with the hamster .... but as I see it, the hamster's well-being wasn't her first priority.

Dingbat activist material, in my opinion, using an animal as political leverage.

I've read that piece, and it is my opinion that the airline was not responsible for the girl flushing the hampster at all. Someone may have made an offhand comment, such as "you can go flush it for all I care, but you are not allowed to carry it on the plane." ........... But it's not even remotely likely that her story of being directed to flush the animal is true. That act is her responsibility alone, and she's trying to place the blame on someone else in my opinion. Nothing about the story rings true, except for her flushing the hampster. People are great at making things up, particularly when they feel guilty themselves.

H.W.

I agree with regards to her responsibility.

Regardless of Spirit's policy and alleged involvement, she flushed the hamster and boarded the aircraft. If she had any VALUES and none of this relative morality bulls-hit, she would have not flushed the hamster and found another way to reach her destination (even if delayed). No, she only appreciated the hamster to the point where it inconvenienced her.

Note, I think that animals should be humanely killed when they are old or injured to the point where their quality of life plummets, but that is a different mindset compared to the hamster flusher.

I'm more inclined to believe she cared more about agitating public opinion against the airlines.
If she'd actually cared as much as she claims about animals, she could've simply left the plane with the hamster .... but as I see it, the hamster's well-being wasn't her first priority.

Dingbat activist material, in my opinion, using an animal as political leverage.

Which is interesting considering Spirit is already viewed by the general public with "caveat emptor." I see their ticket prices and they are dirt cheap and you have to pay for several add ons, but still, the stories I hear about Spirit sound like an awful experience all the way through. Ill pay more to avoid that nonsense.

Her hamster was an inconvenience to her. Some emotional support animal. Bull-**** snowflake detected, looking for attention.

** Note, I think that animals should be humanely killed when they are old or injured to the point where their quality of life plummets, but that is a different mindset compared to the hamster flusher. **

I chose to euthanize one of my cats when she lost motor control of her hind legs due to a blood clot. Rationalizing your choices as a factor in the death of a pet is painful - you want them to live a long time, but you realize they'd be a shadow of their former selves if their pain was prolonged. Needlessly killing them for convenience is different and I hope I never feel the need to go there.

** Note, I think that animals should be humanely killed when they are old or injured to the point where their quality of life plummets, but that is a different mindset compared to the hamster flusher. **

I chose to euthanize one of my cats when she lost motor control of her hind legs due to a blood clot. Rationalizing your choices as a factor in the death of a pet is painful - you want them to live a long time, but you realize they'd be a shadow of their former selves if their pain was prolonged. Needlessly killing them for convenience is different and I hope I never feel the need to go there.

I'm sorry about your cat, Lefou. You did what you had to do, and it was the right thing, but that still doesn't make it any easier. Last year I had to put down my long-time cat who had developed a tumor in his lower jaw. The day he stopped eating was the day we knew his suffering had to be brought to an end. Had him 14 years. I miss the little guy. Still haven't gotten another one, but probably should--plenty of good ones looking for a home.

Back