Finding Bulk Hops....to save $$$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MussBrew

Reaction score

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good web site that I could order hops in bulk to save $$$. My LHBS is charging $4.95 / 2oz of hops and doesn't sell in bulk... I'm looking for Fuggles and Goldings. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Muss Brew

Yep ebay is yorubest bet right now. Depending on the hop variety you can get a 1# amount for between $50-$60 plus shipping.

Freshops.com = $2 per oz or less. You have to order at least 2 oz per variety and at least 12oz total.

Right now it looks like all they have is Williamette. I just ordered 12oz worth of 6 different varieties a couple months ago. It's my favorite hop source when they have em.

None of those seem to help his(or my) situation. Everywhere is so dang expensive. How long do rhizomes take to grow hops?

Yep ebay is yorubest bet right now. Depending on the hop variety you can get a 1# amount for between $50-$60 plus shipping.

WTF this is not true at all. Or should I say, it is a very bad price.

www.hopsdirect.com

They have both Fuggles and East Kent Goldings (or US Goldings if you want that) for MUCH less than $50-60 per pound. In fact for 1# amounts they are $14.85 each. And that place always ends up throwing a couple extra ounces in the package, so it's an even better deal.

For Centennial and Cascade there is also www.northwesthops.com who are selling for $10 per pound.

By the way you might also consider Willamette hops, which are a US-grown variant of Fuggles. HopsDirect has them currently for $9/lb a much better price than Fuggles.

I buy mine from hopsdirect.com by the pound. They go anywhere from $8 to $15 per pound in light/oxygen barrier bags. They have pellets and whole hops, prices are about the same for either, although I don't know why someone would choose to use pellets when fresh leaf hops are the same price.

I've bought from farmhousebrewingsupply.com and like it. The business started here on HBT, but now there's a website form which you can buy. Plus, he's local for me (or used to be when I was in WI)

El_Exorcisto said:
I buy mine from hopsdirect.com by the pound. They go anywhere from $8 to $15 per pound in light/oxygen barrier bags. They have pellets and whole hops, prices are about the same for either, although I don't know why someone would choose to use pellets when fresh leaf hops are the same price.

My understanding is that pellets store better and are more AA per oz. If this is the case then you need less for bittering. Maybe they don't dry hop as well though...

I use pellets because I don't have the space to store 8-10 pounds of whole hops.

Holy crap you're right I was wondering why they would make such terrible recommendations.

That still doesn't explain the recommendation for farmhousebrewingsupply, though.

Not that I have anything against them, but for bulk hops it is an awful rec.

I bought some EKG and Northern Brewer from HopsDirect this year. I'm not happy with either of them. They look ancient (very brown), and don't smell good (a slightly cheesy smell).
I may be able to use them, but I may have to dump them.
I certainly won't order from them again.

-a.

Holy crap you're right I was wondering why they would make such terrible recommendations.

That still doesn't explain the recommendation for farmhousebrewingsupply, though.

Not that I have anything against them, but for bulk hops it is an awful rec.

I think farmhouse and hopsdirect are the only places to buy "bulk" hops on a homebrew scale without going in a major group buy. If you only need hops an ounce at a time then tons of options, but when you making 12oz+ IPA's you need bang for the buck.

Farmhousebrewingsupply is one of the cheapest sites to buy bulk hops from. FWIW I selected 6 lbs of my favorite hops on farmhouse to compare and it calculated to $80.04 shipped, so roughly $13.33 a pound. My 6lb order from hopsdirect last month was $80.85 shipped. Advantage farmhouse with the ability to get less than 1lb amounts as well as full pounds.

I think farmhouse and hopsdirect are the only places to buy "bulk" hops on a homebrew scale without going in a major group buy. If you only need hops an ounce at a time then tons of options, but when you making 12oz+ IPA's you need bang for the buck.

Farmhousebrewingsupply is one of the cheapest sites to buy bulk hops from. FWIW I selected 6 lbs of my favorite hops on farmhouse to compare and it calculated to $80.04 shipped, so roughly $13.33 a pound. My 6lb order from hopsdirect last month was $80.85 shipped. Advantage farmhouse with the ability to get less than 1lb amounts as well as full pounds.

I must be missing something, because I see no bulk hops on their website at all.

I've used Farmhouse for a while now. when I need smaller about of hops less than 1 Lb I'll go with them and then for more I'll go with hops direct. A couple of weeks ago I got 7lbs and probably had 8 oz extra between them all. I'm very happy with hops direct. I've never had any problems with farmhouse either. All of my hops from them have been spot on, on occasion I've gotten a little extra from them. Also farmhouse has good selection of specialty grain and at good prices. Thats where I go to get my "By the lb" specialty grain.

I just picked up a bunch of bulk hops from Hops Direct. I did notice that the leaf hops had a higher alpha acid percentage than the standard number given on beersmith. The Cascade leafs were 7.1% AA, where the standard was around 5.4%. They smell great though. I picked up a combination of leaf and pellet hops, but I'm now wishing I had just gone with pellet only. Leafs, while nice, take up almost 5x more room (give or take).

I did notice that they do add a little extra too. The leaf hops generally have about 19-20oz in a pound while the pellets were about 18-19oz.

None of those seem to help his(or my) situation. Everywhere is so dang expensive. How long do rhizomes take to grow hops?

Did you guys not notice the "his(or my) situation from post #7, which is the first new post since '08.

A person can't win, he gets dinged if he doesn't use the search feature, but then when they do he gets dinged because the originating post is old. lol.

To answer the question tho, you can expect a few hops the year after you plant but not very many. The second year you get quite a few more.

Haha. I actually did realize it was an old post. whoops. But thanks dobeluvr for the reply. I'm really thinking about growing them. It'd be fun.

Back