Finally! I get to build a brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
After many years of wishing, I finally bought a little farm out in the country. And, it just so happens to have an old shop, with a room framed (kind of....)out that will be perfect for a little hide away and brew room for me. I will be posting on here pics of my progress. Im gonna keep a traditional 3 tier system, but have it built into the wall. I want water lines plumbed in going to everything i need water too. No moving nothing. Gonna plumb hard gas lines as well. A sink, counter, and ferm chamber are all in the works as well. Cant wait!

didnt get many pics of the elecrrical, as i re did the whole shop about a month ago. FYI, i own a heating company, have been a plumber, and have exstensive knowledge of framing, electrical, sheetrock, etc.

Here is the new electrical panel supplying the shop, and brew room

WP_20151207_14_09_07_Pro.jpg

finishing up the framing, and starting the insulation. i am going overboard with the insulation. actually re framed the exterior walls so i could pack more in there :)

WP_20151207_14_08_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_14_08_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_14_49_12_Pro.jpg

putting up the wall coverings. Im putting sheet metal the first 4 feet up, its easy to clean. Then rocking the rest. This is where i ended last night. Ran out of rock, and SWAMBO wanted me inside......Did get the hangers temp. put up for the 3 tier stand. Just wanted to make sure everything was gonna sit right and the door will swing open, when i get it put in

WP_20151207_14_49_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_16_56_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_16_55_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_16_56_11_Pro.jpg

What are you going to do for ventilation? I would be very concerned using a burner inside.

If it was me I would go electric for indoor brewing.

Nice build! I second the concern raised about ventilation. PLEASE consider a different method for mounting your burner! Keep fire away from walls! That flame will lick up around the sides of your kettle and burn your sheetrock eventually, probably when you're not looking. Your insurance company will probably not cover it either.

Tripling the concern about that burner that close to the wall. I think you are asking for big trouble there.

I have to ask though, in general, if you are putting as much money as it looks like you are putting into the build, why wouldn't you go for something a littler nicer (I mean no disrespect there) than the equipment you're mounting to the wall? As in, why not go with a single tier system, some pumps, an electric setup vs. the gas setup, etc?

I would throw a sheet of concrete board against the wall by burner. But how much do you pay for gas? I'm starting my electric build and plan on saving at least 4$ a batch for heating and boiling a ten gallon batch. If this is going to be a long term brew room it's just something to think about.

What are you going to do for ventilation? I would be very concerned using a burner inside.

If it was me I would go electric for indoor brewing.

i own a sheet metal shop. Today, im building the 6 foot x 16 in x 16 in hood that will mount above the stand. I have a 12" 850 cfm in line fan im gonna mount on top. Im not a big fan of electric. As a 10 year veteran natral gas piper, i like my gas :) And to be honest, you would want a big hood even with electric. Do you realize how much moisture is put off from boiling wort for an hour? Not to mention mashing as well

Nice build! I second the concern raised about ventilation. PLEASE consider a different method for mounting your burner! Keep fire away from walls! That flame will lick up around the sides of your kettle and burn your sheetrock eventually, probably when you're not looking. Your insurance company will probably not cover it either.

Going to tile the whole wall. Plus, that is 20 ga sheet metal

Tripling the concern about that burner that close to the wall. I think you are asking for big trouble there.

I have to ask though, in general, if you are putting as much money as it looks like you are putting into the build, why wouldn't you go for something a littler nicer (I mean no disrespect there) than the equipment you're mounting to the wall? As in, why not go with a single tier system, some pumps, an electric setup vs. the gas setup, etc?

I hate electricity, and im not a big fan of single tier systems. I have had one. Sold most of it to my buddy. All the pumps and hoses, too many things to go wrong. And that stuff is up for visual. I was measuring for the hood (im custom building it) and where i am gonna run electrical to the track light above the system. I like my set up, get around 86% eff. just tired of moving everything around. Ant to be honest, the only thing i really paid for is the sheetrock. I work in construction. Most of the stuff is scavanged of job sites.

i love all the concerns, keep the ideas comming, but i have already thought about all of these and more. Been planning this a long time. But common, its still in framing stage. Im not gonna mount the nice hood, and tile the wall before all the sheetrock is up, and mudded. Let alone painted. Construction is done in stages. You dont shingle the roof before you put the OSB on the trusses.

i love all the concerns, but i have already thought about all this and more. Been planning this a long time. But common, its still in framing stage. Im not gonna mount the nice hood, and tile the wall before all the sheetrock is up, and mudded. Let alone painted. Construction is done in stages. You dont shingle the roof before you put the OSB on the trusses.

Good to hear. I'm in the construction world too and thought I should speak up for safety concerns, but I'm glad you've already thought about it all. Keep on building!

Good to hear. I'm in the construction world too and thought I should speak up for safety concerns, but I'm glad you've already thought about it all. Keep on building!

i wanted the sheet metal to be my backing, but its in 4 foot sheets, and was not quite tall enough for the top burner, come to find out :) Now im not sure if i wanna just throw another sheet up, or tile the wall up 12 inches. Cant decide the look i want. Leaning more tward metal. It looks a lot nicer that i first thought. It was more for easy clean up, but looks nice

Got all the first coat mudding done last night. Starting to take shape. I stoked up the shop fire place and crossed my fingers it would dry over night. This morning, it was lookin good. After work i will hit a second coat with some 15 min. mud, then texture. Should be able to paint on sat. and start tiling sun. Probably build the vent hood sat. after painting, and be able to hang sun. Getting close!!

Starting to get wood gathered up for the counters too. Got most of the tile i need, but gonna hit up the second hand building store today. I can get 12x12 tiles for 20 cents there. I also need a door from there. Expect about 25$ with the frame. Door will be done last. I want to get paint up before moving the ferm. chamber in, but it wont fit threw the door, so i gotta wait till finish that part.

So far im into this project as follows.
sheet rock and mud $70
electrical pannel, breakers, wire, plugs, and boxes(leftovers from my contractor friend) 20$
paint is free (moms a painter. leftover buckets)
a lot of the tile was free (friends with a tile guy. gives me all his leftovers) i think im gonna have to spent 6-8$ at the second hand store as well.
lighting free from various endevors
hood im building in my metal shop. the 500 cfm fan from amazon was 25$
door should be less than 30$
i have most of the plumbing for the sink and water lines (friend is a plumber) but im gonna have to buy a couple hoses. 20$

So all in all, i shouldnt have to spend over $173 on the entire thing. Goal is to be brewing next weekend. Gotta love knowing someone in every construction trade imaginable :)

WP_20151210_20_21_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20151210_20_21_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20151210_20_21_38_Pro.jpg

Texture and brew station water lines went in last night. Now I got water right to the HLT and water and return lines to the chiller.

WP_20151211_13_02_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20151211_17_07_10_Pro.jpg

Glad you went with a texture.... I own a drywall company and it looks like you were struggling a bit with the finish lol. Otherwise you have a friggin sweet setup your building! Very jealous

Glad you went with a texture.... I own a drywall company and it looks like you were struggling a bit with the finish lol. Otherwise you have a friggin sweet setup your building! Very jealous

lol, i do hvac. im def. not the best mudder around. Turned out all right with the paint on.

and the counter top in. cut out ready, for the sink. Then, the tile set up im playing around with.

WP_20151212_19_50_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20151212_19_50_13_Pro.jpg

That looks good. Tile will have a tough time sticking to that type of wood tho, if you tile the tops you may want to consider adding a bit of plywood first. I would stick the backslash tiles on with a adhesive like a polyurethane or something vs thinset or tile glue if your planning on attaching to the metal. And use a flexible grout

That looks good. Tile will have a tough time sticking to that type of wood tho, if you tile the tops you may want to consider adding a bit of plywood first. I would stick the backslash tiles on with a adhesive like a polyurethane or something vs thinset or tile glue if your planning on attaching to the metal. And use a flexible grout

i was thinking of putting up some thin rock board. Plywood might work, i got that on hand

building the hood this morning in my sheet metal shop. Then installed. The remote mounted fan gets hear tom. Having it mounted in the attic should quiet it down a lot

WP_20151213_07_53_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20151213_09_25_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20151213_11_20_06_Pro.jpg

This is awesome dude...Everyone's a critic to some degree ignore it and carry On! And you are flat cruising on this project..I tip my hat to you sir.

This is awesome dude...Everyone's a critic to some degree ignore it and carry On! And you are flat cruising on this project..I tip my hat to you sir.

thanks bro, regardless of what anyone says, it is turning out just like i saw it in my head. Im working with what i got (happens to be a 10 foot x 9 foot area) and its like a dream come true. I was shooting for a 7 day turnaround, but fell short this weekend. even after pulling 12 hour days in there sat. and sun. i still have tile work, a bit of plumbing, and a couple more shelves to do. Should be wrapped up by wed-thur

putting some finishing touches on. Got shelves up, the ferm chamber slid in, and my bottle wall is up. I have been kicking that idea around in my brain for a while. Now tile, a bit of sink plumbing, and a couple more shelves, and ill be ready to brew

WP_20151213_18_35_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20151213_18_35_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20151213_18_36_13_Pro.jpg

I really cant believe how fast your blowing this out.. Interesting Idea for bottle storage, I might have to barrow that idea from you..:rockin:

I really cant believe how fast your blowing this out.. Interesting Idea for bottle storage, I might have to barrow that idea from you..:rockin:

go for it. FYI I put an inch and a half spacer at the bottom to keep the bottles tilting back, so they dont fall off. By the time i got to the top, they were all leveled out. Think i will change that spacer out for like 3"-4" one. To keep the angle

finally got all the water lines and waste lines installed and ready to go. Didnt take any pics, pvc is kind of boring looking ;) did use the room after to bottle a SMASH IPA i made to test out my second year cascade hops. They turned out way better tasting than what i got last year.
I found out my tile saw is at my step dads house that is about a 2 hour drive up the mountain. So i might go get it this weekend. I guess they got 18" of snow in the last couple days, so i dont know. More is coming and i hate that drive. I might have to wait till they come down for xmas to tile :/

WP_20150805_12_03_41_Pro.jpg

Awesome hops! I saw your bottle storage and I got to thinking of a way to do something similar, and ensure that dust, etc doesn't get in 'em.... Put dowels in the back at an angle facing down and slide the bottles on there.. kinda like a one-sided bottle tree. :) That'll make sure the bottles stay where they are until you need them and also keep dust & dirt from getting inside as easily. Just an idea... :)

Awesome hops! I saw your bottle storage and I got to thinking of a way to do something similar, and ensure that dust, etc doesn't get in 'em.... Put dowels in the back at an angle facing down and slide the bottles on there.. kinda like a one-sided bottle tree. :) That'll make sure the bottles stay where they are until you need them and also keep dust & dirt from getting inside as easily. Just an idea... :)

i just got them up there so they were out of the way. Im gonna wash them all this weekend, and i got a great idea to keep em clean. I always save my used bottle caps, so i was thinking, just pop the pried off caps back on the bottle after its dry. Will keep em clean inside and then you just pop it off before filling.

I like the bottle tree idea. Sounds like a lot of work, but would look good when done, and work good too

i usually go through a bit of aluminum foil after everything is dry on the ones that dont have boxes... but your bottle storage i do enjoy.
like a tiny cantillon... haha

I have been slacking a bit on the room. It has been snowing non stop for the past few days, and dont feel like hauling more wood to the shop. I did get the brew stand finished (minus tile. With all the snow, dought i will make it to the cabin to get the tile saw)and am ready for a brew day tom. A good friend is gonna come over with his set up, and we are going to do 4 brews and a cider.

WP_20151217_15_33_34_Pro.jpg

Back