Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanfriz

Reaction score
I did my second AG brew and have a question.
I brewed on Saturday (Blue Moon Clone) and it was fermenting fine showing a good amount of action. I used coopers dry yeast and if was fermenting at 65-66F. I did not see any action today, so because my first AG did not work out so well I took a gravity reading and it showed 1.004, my OG was 1.042. Do I need to shake it around a little? I use a turkey baser to draw it out of the carboy. It just seems that it is reading very low very fast. I was not planning on bottling it yet or anything but was not sure why it worked out so well? When my efficiency was so low I really expected it to finish out at around 1.010-1.014 at best. Should I check the calibration of my hydrometer? :rockin:

something wrong with that number. it shouldn't finish that dry. might not be a bad idea to test the hydro. might be due to a very low mash, too

I mashed at 152.5 for 60min. I was just thinking that maybe my efficiency is not that bad my hydrometer just reads low.

Back