Final gravity stability issue within confines of an experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
I am running this experiment:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/experiement-idea-brew-day-bottle-glass-3-weeks-465282/
Which is basically an tempt to produce a mild in 3 weeks, including time for bottle conditioning- ideally 14 days. This is a skillful race against the clock in an effort to see if it can be done, so please keep that in mind. I don't have the luxury of "oh, just wait it out, you impatient fool!". I hope it will provide worth while results for us bottle guys.

Two days ago I got an SG reading of 1.0105 or maybe 1.011 @ 60 F. It's really hard to eye ball that when the marks are every 0.002. Today a reading @ 63 F yielded 1.010, maybe just a hair under the line.

To keep on track with my plan I hoped to bottle today.

Here are some beer stats that might help you help me:
-Mashed @ 155 F for one hour
-included about a half a pound of carapils
-OG: 1.045, 20 IBUs
-Nottingham ale yeast fermented for (as of today) 8 days @ 60 F, allowing the temp to climb to 63 over the past two days.

Questions:

1) Is a change of 0.0005 over two days significant or negligible?

2) Nottingham is known (for both myself and others) to generally finish at 1.008. Would 1.010 be uncharacteristic for a beer such as mine considering the possible unfermentable sugars involved?

Thanks for the patience/assistance in advance. I hope to catch the illusive fast turn-around bottle conditioned beer and put it on display for others to see.

I've been frustrated by trying to read a typical range (.998-1.17) brewer's hydrometer and am much happier using a higher precision hydrometer that reads .998-1.07. Some LHBS sell 1.0-1.04 range hydrometers which are especially handy for monitoring the end of fermentation if you are looking for a more accurate gravity reading. If you can buy one locally this might be a problem that you can solve with $25.

1. negligible
2. notty finishes fast. FG is what it is.

bottle it!

Just to let you know what happened, I bottled today (two days after the original post) only because I had missed my previous window to do it.

You were absolutely right, The gravity hadn't budged!

Yielded twenty four 22 oz bottles and ten 12 oz bottles.

Latest posts

Back