Final gravity slightly too high, am I going to have bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skuhn2004

Reaction score
I am doing an American Hefe Weizen. Yeast is WLP380. I a very vigorous fermentation. The only hiccup was around day 5 as things were winding down anyway my temp dropped to 60 and the range for WLP380 is 64-70. Warmed it back up and things seemed fine.

The kit OG and Brewers Friend recipe calculator both agree that SG=1.060 and I hit that perfectly.

The kit says FG=1.010-1.014. Brewers Friend says FG=1.014.

It has been at 1.016 for 3 days. I tried shaking it up and the temp has been around 70 for 3 days with no movement on gravity.

Should I just say close enough and bottle it? Do I run the risk of bottle bombs?

The fg numbers on the kit and software are just targets - many factors can impact your actual fg. The key to avoiding bottle bombs is waiting until fermentation is complete. If you haven'tn seen a change in gravity for three days, you're probably fine, but if you are nervous, wait a week - it won't harm your beer.

It is possible for fermentation to stall for a few days and then kick back in. It's probably a good idea to let it ride for another week or so anyways, as it gives the yeast time to clean up the brew. While I don't think the risk of BBs are high at this point, it costs nothing to forget about it for another week.

FG numbers are best guess estimates so it's probably done but before you do anything verify your hydrometer is properly calibrated. It should read 1.000 in 60F distilled water, if not , adjust the reading accordingly. Also, if this reading is with a refractometer, use a hydrometer:)

Back