Final Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I brewed a Tank 7 clone two weeks ago. The starting gravity was 1.076 and I'm expecting a 1.020 ish FG. After 2 weeks it is still bubbling away, I checked the gravity 2 days ago and tasted the sample. It was absolutely delicious. A little sweet, but very fruity. I took another sample today, and it is down to just under 1.020, and still bubbling. I tasted the sample, and while it didn't taste bad, it definitely was not as fruity. What concerns me though is the activity in the blowoff/airlock. I did put the fermentor in a some 70 degree water last night. My wife turned the heat down, and it was around 65 in my closet. Is there a possibility for contamination? Im assuming I shouldn't worry about it. But a friend who I'm trying to get in to homebrewing paid for this batch and I don't want to waste his money so Im a little more concerned than normal. Thanks for the help.

All grain or extract? Yeast used?

A fresh batch of yeast with max viability and relatively high attenuation can get that brew down to the 12-14 range, easy. Relax. I've had champaign yeast reduce a .076 OG down to single digits.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

a drop in temps won't cause contamination, per se. what might happen is as the temps drop, you'll get some suck-back from your airlock and some of whatever is in you airlock will end up in the beer. that's why you want to use star san or vodka/cheap alcohol - nothing bad can live in those liquids so getting a few teaspoons sucked back won't be a prob. using plain water should be OK, but safest to use something that remains sanitary(ish).

a drop in temp can also cause the yeast to become sluggish, maybe even go dormant and drop out. so if you don't think fermentation is complete, get that sucker back to 70*F, or even a bit higher.

BTW, 1.020 for Tank 7 clone is too high. saisons are very dry beers. check out this recipe, it calls for a FG of 1.010 which is much more in line with a saison: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/boulevard-smokestack-series-tank-7-farmhouse-ale-clone-250256/. what yeast are you using?

finally, bubbling is not an iron-clad indicator of fermentation. it might just be CO2 being off-gassed from the brew.

It was AG. The yeast was Wyeast French Saison, 3711... I think. I used the recipe the above. However the FG in that recipe is 1.020, the 1.010 is the FG of the actual Tank 7 recipe from Boulevard. If I'm reading that post correctly. Either way, I'll do another gravity test in a few days, see what happens. Thanks.

It was AG. The yeast was Wyeast French Saison, 3711... I think. I used the recipe the above. However the FG in that recipe is 1.020, the 1.010 is the FG of the actual Tank 7 recipe from Boulevard. If I'm reading that post correctly.
d'oh, my bad, you are indeed reading it correctly. which begs the question: how can you call something a clone when you're that far off the original gravity?!? it definitely won't be the same beer. anyhoo...

3711 is a beast. it is slow and takes its time, but i am very confident that you'll end up below 1.020 (i.e., closer to the actual gravity of Tank 7). give this beer another 2 weeks. it isn't done yet.

Latest posts

Back