Finagling with my PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkylerChaBro

Reaction score
I had a brew day today using a Belgian Wit PM Kit from AHS. Everything went well except for two things:

1.) The wort in the fermenter is pretty cloudy, in part because I accidentally picked up a good part of the hot break.

2.) The wort, even though in a snow bank, took a very long time in order to cool to 80c. Two hours, and a number of exterior sprays of starsan later, I was on my way.

I know the possible effects of #2, but what should I expect of #1?. I have not had this problem before so I'm not sure as to what to expect.

Everything else went to plan for the most part and it was great fun!

Mark K.

1.) The wort in the fermenter is pretty cloudy, in part because I accidentally picked up a good part of the hot break

I know the possible effects of #2, but what should I expect of #1?. I have not had this problem before so I'm not sure as to what to expect.

Mark K.

Nada. In fact some of my very best beers were siphoned into the carboy with almost all the break material. I am not at all sure why some brewers are so worried about that. It will settle, the yeastie boys love it, your beer will be fine. I would be more concerned about #2, but not so much that I would lose any sleep over it!

sds

Thanks for the input Steve.

Although the possibility of infection is out there, I'm fairly confident it will be just fine. Starsan, so much starsan.

Back