Filtration with pump prior to force carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevKev

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For starters, I'm upgrading to a new system to do larger batches and I really hate that if any of my kegs get roused around they pour murky as Lake Ontario. I have no problem with this besides those murky beers are just not as refreshing. So I'm wondering this:

1- after primary fermentation can beer be filtered from carboy to keg using a single or set of in-line filters (5 and-or 1 micron actuals) with a in-line recirculation pump pushing it from carboy?

2- will this over oxygenate the beer as it is not carbonated and just being racked into the keg but with in-line filtration along the way?

I ask because with sanke kegs most all kits need to be modified to transfer sanke to sanke and I really don't want to clean and sanitize another keg haha.

I have spent an hour or so searching but keep getting dragged into filtration after carbonation, not helpful, if there is a place for this please help me out or toss in your opinion regardless.

Best,
Kev

Kev

Of course you can. I used to do this all the time when I was using carboys. If you use a universal carboy cap you can use a racking cane and push from carboy, through filter into keg. Do yourself a favor and push CO2 through the filter first. This will get rid of most all the O2 and minimize oxidation (IME)

My schedule use to be transfer from bucket to carboy. Push from carboy through filter into keg. Carbonate and serve.
If you want to check out how I am doing it right now check this out!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584147

My new schedule is to ferment in a sanke keg. Clean, rinse, sanitize, ferment and transfer from keg to keg. I might add my filter back in the mix at some point but right now don't see the need.

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay!

Just one last question, does having the in line filtration running off the vacuum ever cause too much resistance to flow and result in a stuck siphon?

I have canes from two broken auto siphons so I think this method will work beautifully..

Thank you for the response though I've just been stuck thinking this over and over and I'm glad to have some reassurance! Your new setup seems so efficient, when I get a few more kegs in my possession i may have to buy one of those sanke fermenter posts you have! Quite ingenious I must say.

Thanks a million,
Kev

Latest posts

Back