Filtration sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtank

Reaction score
I purchased a filter setup from home depot and plan on forcing my beer from one keg to another though it after forcing some solution though it. My concern is if the beer comes in contact with the solution it will surely give it off flavors. So should I flush the filter with distilled water and then chase it with some co2 to try and dry out the filter.

This is a water filter? I don't think those are made for filtering beer. Also, how do you sanitize it?

This is a beer filter LINK

Its the same kind I've seen in other posts just nobody talks about the sanitation process. Thats my question

I flushed mine with StarSan and then proceeded to produce a gallon of foam/beer after. I gave up and stored the filter equipment on the shelf for eternity. If I was going to try again I'd use a non foaming sanitizer.

With this kind of equipment, the bigger the batch the better. You have a fixed amount that is needed to flush it, and a fixed amount that is left in the lines when you are done. When you are making 100 bbl batches its not noticiable, but with only 5 gallons to start with it's a lot to lose even 1/2 gallon.

As for sanitizing I'll agree with samc.

I purchased a filter setup from home depot and plan on forcing my beer from one keg to another though it after forcing some solution though it. My concern is if the beer comes in contact with the solution it will surely give it off flavors. So should I flush the filter with distilled water and then chase it with some co2 to try and dry out the filter.

I am assuming you are talking about a standard 10" cartridge filter, right?

if that is the case, I use the 1 micron filter media from Northern Brewer. It works great.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/beer-filtration/cartidge-filters/1-micron-pleated-sediment-cartridge-for-k130.html

To sanitize it, I push the Starsan solution from my dispense keg through the filter. You sanitize the whole system in one easy step. Then I let it settle before draining the excess solution out of the housing. At that time, everything is clean and sanitized!!!

Filter_Station.jpg

One last option, I found this site for 0.5 micron filter media. I just order some to try.

http://www.filters4h2o.com/Sediment%20Filters.htm

Good luck and cheers! :tank:

Yes that is exactly the filter im talking bout. Soo you dont rinse out the solution or push any co2 though.

Also im debating running my oatmeal stout (bubbling away) through the filter.

Do you think that because its a stout and already a dark beer there is no need to filter it or do you think filtering helps flavor?

I put together almost the exact same setup for filtering my beer and wine. I use iodophor for my sterilizing agent. I mix up 2 gallons, put it in the first keg, hook up all the lines and set the CO2 pressure about 8 - 10 psi, and run that solution through the filter, into the recieving keg. I even let the CO2 bubble out at the end. I haven't lost much sanitizer in the process. The next time I might pull the first pint out before actually transferring to the keg, just to make sure there isn't a high concentration of sterilizer in the beer.

I really wanted it for filtering my wines, and with the short time in contact with the CO2, I'm not too worried about it carbing up. Besides, I let the wine sit for another 30 days anyway, before I bottle it.

Back