Filtering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyace00

Reaction score
Racked my blonde ale into my secondary with puree'd cherries about 7 days ago and I just took a reading and it's at 1.12 so seems the yeast is done. But I noticed alot of debris from the cherries. Will that settle or can I strain when I siphon I to the bottling bucket.

Cold crashing can help. You can also put a hop bag or pantyhose on the end of your siphon, sanitized of course, to filter out te junk.

I don't have any experience with cherries in beer but you can always use a sanitized strainer when you rack to your bottling bucket/keg or however you're going to condition it. I usually use a strainer after dry hopping to catch all the floaties that didn't want to settle.

You don't want to strain it in the sense you'd be using a strainer or in any way chancing oxidizing the beer, but you could try a sanitized hops bag over the end of the racking cane to try to avoid sucking up debris.

I've never had any luck at all doing that (darn bag caused clogging), but I'm pretty proficient with racking since I'm an old winemaker and usually you can avoid the debris with careful racking. If you start the siphon in the middle of the beer, and lower it as the level of the beer lowers, you can usually avoid sucking up chunks. Also, as was mentioned, cold crashing will help alot with getting the suspended debris to fall.

Latest posts

Back