Filtering, force carbonating to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
How long are you guys force carbonating your beers before you bottle them? The owner of my local brewing supply shop filters, force carbonates, and bottles 5 gallon batches for $30, and I'm gonna be sending him a batch soon. My question is how does he do it so fast? I drop my beer off to him in a Carboy, and 48 hours later I get the beer back perfectly carbonated and bottled. I've already asked about his type of counter pressure bottle filler and he says he made it himself, won't even show it to anyone.
When I ask how he carbonates his beer so fast he just beats around the bush and tries to explain the volume/temp/psi story, so I know he won't tell his secret. How long are you guys carbonating before you bottle?

Where are you getting it done? I didn't know there was a place that close to me that does this.
I don't bother to bottle my kegged beers unless I'm sending it in to a competition. So then, my beers have been kegged quite a while. I'll look up the charts for you if I can find them... the ones he uses.

Cheers from across " the country "

The only way he could do this is with a very high psi and the shaking method but how he gets consistent perfect results I can't answer, if in fact he does. It wouldn't be worth the 30 dollars though. You can do the same thing yourself using the fast carb method and using the tool on the "we don't need no stinkin beer gun" thread.

Myself, I hook up to 30 psi for three days as soon as I hook up the room temp keg. Then I bleed the pressure and back it down to 10 to 11 psi (my serving pressure). Another two days or so and it's pretty much there.

At $30 per batch I would bottle condition or get my own kegging setup. You can basically say the $30 goes to buy each keg. After you buy 2-3 kegs that $30 starts paying for your CO2 bottle and other equipment.

I have a Kegging setup haven't used it yet because I have no kegerator. I know how to carbonate. I just can't understand how he filters, chills it, carbonates, and bottles it in less than 48 hours. He told me he doesn't even put gas on it until it's chilled overnight.

I have a Kegging setup haven't used it yet because I have no kegerator. I know how to carbonate. I just can't understand how he filters, chills it, carbonates, and bottles it in less than 48 hours. He told me he doesn't even put gas on it until it's chilled overnight.

Well, then he filters first. Then he chills it overnight. Then he force carbonates (shaking method), lets it sit. The bottles it up. Not any big secret, and anybody could do it.

Yooper said:
Well, then he filters first. Then he chills it overnight. Then he force carbonates (shaking method), lets it sit. The bottles it up. Not any big secret, and anybody could do it.

Yup my thoughts exactly... And anyone can get a beer gun or counterflow filler. It's not a secretive contraption he has come up with. And as I said before he may even use the we dont need a beer gun method with cost nothing in most cases.

He's using a counter pressure filler that he made himself. I know the process, I just don't see how he is getting great carbonation in 24 hours or less, and getting consistent results every time.

He's using a counter pressure filler that he made himself. I know the process, I just don't see how he is getting great carbonation in 24 hours or less, and getting consistent results every time.

Cold beer will absorb CO2 faster than warm beer, and using the shake method exposes the beer to more CO2, so it is then absorbed faster again.
When I go to a buddys place and want to take a 2 liter of beer, I rack ( or just dispense from my kegerator ) into the 2 liter and attach a carbonater cap, purge the air off the top and pressurize it with CO2 and shake the Bee gees out of it for a little while. Instant carbonation with even flat beer going into the 2 liter.

And beer at a certain temperature combined with any given pressure will get consistant results.

Antler said:

He is most definitely using the shake method of force carbing. I suppose if he's been using this method long enough he has learned how to get consistent results out of it.

Back