Filtering Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseM

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been making pale ale that i dry hopp in a 20 gallon equipment of mine for a long time and never filterd or had a lot of problems when racking my beer and bottling with sediments, but we have upgraded in scale and most of my mates have decided to filter the beer before bottling (it is forced carbonated after) to avoid sediments and hopps, also for a clearer ale.

I feel a ton of the aromas have dissipated and I was reading a couple of things that said aroma is lost when you filter. I was wondering if anybody knows about this and about our solution wich was filter only half the batch.

Thanks a lot

Depending on how fine of a filter you use you will lose hop flavor and aroma because the filter will strip those compounds out. There was a BYO article about this last year and basically you have to up your ingredients by 10 to 20% to make up for this issue. I personally have never filtered but find great success using Biofine clear (the vegan one) and cold crashing.

Back