Filling a sankey and carboy size.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
I have a 13.5 sankey keg that I was going to fill with my hazy kveik ESB, but I am questioning whether I will have enough to reduce the headspace. I thought these were 5 or 5.5 gallon carboys, but now I am not so sure. My last batch with two of these produced about 7 G of beer. I did fill these up a little more than the last batch when I added some and dry hopped a little less than a pound of wai-iti

I have been tempted to try a pressure transfer, in which case I wouldn’t be so pressured (no pun intended) to fill the thing.. but I have always used an auto-siphon for better or worse.

Another option would be to put on of these carboys in a 5G keg and brew one more on the dregs and top off the sankey from the ball-lock keg, if I don’t drink it all waiting for the last one.

I had been looking forward to filling the sankey so that I would definitely have some around to condition over time. I plan on oxy cleaning well to get the orval bret out of the sankey for this batch. I like bret and all but just want to see how this kveik cleans up over time.

Attachments

• F1817841-ECB3-4CAD-A076-FEF36BBD2E2A.jpeg
    F1817841-ECB3-4CAD-A076-FEF36BBD2E2A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
I just realized there were gallon markings on the middle carboy, putting me at just over 4 Gallons excluding the trub. That makes a little more sense that I wasn’t getting 5 Gallons out of my batches. It looks like the other two are at least roughly the same size.

I do have about 2 Gallon of the same grain/yeast in a small ball-lock still, so I’ll go back to the tried and true transfer method this time, and top of the big keg with the little keg.

I may spring for a 15G torpedo keg for fermenting in so I can do pressure transfers. Anyone solera in one regularly? If time on trub isn’t a huge issue, could I transfer out 5 to a corny and put in 5 fresh wart by pouring it in the top?

I know there are a lot of threads on pressure transfers, but I’m hoping this could be my last batch with an auto siphon:

I’m thinking through this, and It makes more sense to keep the larger keg for secondary or brighting solera, so I don’t have to clean out the trub periodically.

primary 4G in a 5G corny, dry-hop and spund through the serving keg to purge

Pressure Transfer from solera secondary to serving.

Pressure transfer from primary to solera secondary.

Loving the rocky head on this house beer

Attachments

• 838DCEE4-6420-490C-A62A-15EC4EE55B1D.jpeg
    838DCEE4-6420-490C-A62A-15EC4EE55B1D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Back