Figured out my mystery CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
...it was on my Gas In connector. Past couple of days my IPA keg has been out of pressure. Finally had the foresight to check the connector, and sure enough that was the problem. Tightened that ***** up and there's no more leak (I hope.)

Here's to two kegs worth of gas gone to waste.

It's okay, the native plants will just breath it up and release more Oxygen for our yeast. It's a perfect cycle.

You use clamps? I think half of my keg connections, both gas and beer, are just shoved on the barbs with no clamps. They don't seem to leak as the barbs are a bit tight. Granted, I've probably lost more beer out of my kegs than anyone, but it hasn't been a clamp issue so far.

Bobby_M said:
You use clamps? I think half of my keg connections, both gas and beer, are just shoved on the barbs with no clamps. They don't seem to leak as the barbs are a bit tight. Granted, I've probably lost more beer out of my kegs than anyone, but it hasn't been a clamp issue so far.

I use em on all my connections. I found a leak on one not long ago when I cranked up the PSI on my Sanyo (normally used for serving at 8 PSI) up to 30 to charge a keg for a couple nights to prep for a party. That’s when I heard the hissing sound at the back of the fridge. Tightened down the clamp and…fixed.

BackFlow1.JPG

Inventory3.JPG

Only two extra drill holes on this one, Bier? Did you second-guess your self on cutting a hole in it?

Cheese. I just had the same problem. Do you mean the leak was in the keg body connector, or the gray QD? My gray QD was leaking at the point where it pushes in the poppet. Somehow, there's just not a good seal and gas leaks back out of the keg and past the gasket on the top of the keg body connector.

ScubaSteve said:
Cheese. I just had the same problem. Do you mean the leak was in the keg body connector, or the gray QD? My gray QD was leaking at the point where it pushes in the poppet. Somehow, there's just not a good seal and gas leaks back out of the keg and past the gasket on the top of the keg body connector.

Exactly. I put a little soapy water on it and BIG bubbles immediately formed.A couple more cranks on the screw part and there were no more leaks.

Thanks. I'll disassemble/lube/reassemble, and crank it down. The leak I've got will depressurize a keg overnight. Good thing I shut off the tank, or it'd be empty by now!

Back