FIAK hacks for oxygen-free fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score
Thought I would share my hacks to go from start of ferment through kegging without introducing any extra oxygen and minimal costs. I bought the ferment in a kettle kit for my anvil 5.5 kettle. I first started thinking about doing havks to keep oxygen out while using the spigot after fermentation was complete. I jury rigged a barb and nut attached to the grommet in the lid and using a bit of tubing and a fermentation cap I was able to get it so I could slowly feed 1 psi into the kettle while the spout was open to keep the liquid flowing without it sucking in oxygen (or starsan if the airlock was still on!). After getting that setup, I realised I could use the same lid hack to vent fermentation gas into the keg to purge it of O2 prior to transfer. Once fermentation is done I can feed the gas from the keg back into the kettle while doing a gravity transfer so I don’t even have to use bottled co2. Finally, to keep o2 introduction out of the way during dry hopping, I put my dry hops in a hop bag along with a spoon and stuck it to the inside of the lid with a magnet on the outside. When I am ready for the dry hops to go in, I will pull the magnet to let the hops drop into the beer.
205D8DE4-C314-407D-BEF9-5326E92C4E58.png

Those are some really nice process hacks. Thank you for sharing. I too have thought about rigging some magnetic system for dry hopping; now I know it is possible. Do you use your Anvil kettle for mash, boil, and then fermentation?

I always use the anvil for mash and boil. Depending on size of batch and what else I have lined up brew wise determines what I ferment in. The anvil is the best setup I have for the dry hop hack and I don't have any other brews that I need to do before fermentation will finish so for this brew it was a one stop pot! With no transfer to aerate the wort I just went at it with a whisk for a minute or two until it was good and foamy.

When I was researching my univessel setup I really liked the Anvil FIAK setup except for one thing. I could not find any reviews on the system. Can you offer your opinion on it? What size do you have and what size batches do you make?

When I was researching my univessel setup I really liked the Anvil FIAK setup except for one thing. I could not find any reviews on the system. Can you offer your opinion on it? What size do you have and what size batches do you make?
I have the 5.5 gallon and make 1-3 gallon batches. the built in thermometer is at about 2.7 gallons so if you are brewing anything smaller it's just getting in your way. if you are watching closely you should be able to do up to a 4-4.5 gallon batch, I just haven't had a need to. I mash in a bag. First time using the kettle I pulled bag up fast without thinking and it caught on the thermometer and tore a small hole. D’oh. Thermometer is accurate, ball valve works without complaint and the dip tube does well. The washer for the dip tube that comes with the fiak kit is the best. I love being able to pivot the spout easily with it. The gasket does a great job of giving a tight secure fit, though because of how tight the fit is it a bit of a bother to get on by yourself. The kettle is not pressure rated, but I have found it can take 1-2 psi, just enough to keep co2 flowing into the system while transferring so you don't suck in o2 or sanitizer through the airlock. I would buy again and for how little money it is I think getting the fiak kit is a no brainer for the added versatility.

Thanks Elric. I am at a crossroads because I like the BIABNCFIAK process but I am limited to 3-4 gallon batches. I would like to be able to do 5.5. So I think my options would be a) another DIY, b) 14gallon Chapman or c) a 10 gallon Anvil.

Latest posts

Back