FG very low. Good/Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
I have several batches that have an og of 1.054 or higher and a FG of 1.006 or lower. When I read the recommended FG on a lot of these, they are in the 1.012 range. All are either pale ales or india pale ales. One IPA started at 1.064 and ended at 1.005. I used Wyeast ale #1056 I thnk and half a pack of safale 4 for these batches.

My other batches are within the approximated numbers given in Hopville, but are stouts, marzens, lagers and a wheat ale.

None are ready yet and won't be until Early May or Late April.

Q:Will a low fg mess with flavor and did I do something wrong (too much yeast)to achieve it?

Not really sure but I think fg only effects the mouthfeel of the beer a low fg and the beer may feel thin or lacking body if your doing extract brewing the only way to fix that is to add some specialty malts like carafoam or carapils

Were you doing all grain or extract? If you were doing all grain try mashing at a higher temperature.

we need the recipe and mashing temperatures to help you out.

first thought would make sure that your thermometers and hydrometer are all accurate.

A lower FG will result in a drier beer and bring out the hop bitterness more. not a bad thing but may not be to style or your liking.

Kinda tough to read, but here's one recipe that came in very low and started out at 1.054.

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
43% 1 8 Honey 35 1 ~
29% 1 0 Mr. Beer Golden Wheat Malt Extract 34 5 ~
29% 1 0 Mr. Beer High Country Can. 32 4 ~

Batch size: 2.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.054 measured
(1.059 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.002 measured
(1.016 estimated)

Color
5° SRM / 9° EBC
(Yellow to Gold)

hops
0.5 Mt. Hood pellet 6.0

yeast

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Alcohol
6.9% ABV / 5% ABW
(5.7% est. ABV / 5% est. ABW)
Calories
197 per 12 oz.
misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
primary 0 min 1.0 liquid ozs Orange Peel

u.s. units metric units
comments

Here's a 6g batch

36% 3 12 Coopers IPA 34 5 ~
29% 3 0 Muntons Extra Light Malt Extract 37 3 ~
14% 1 8 Honey 35 1 ~
9% 0 15 Brown Sugar, Light 46 8 ~
7% 0 12 Mr Beer Booster 40 0 ~
5% 0 8 Maple Syrup 30 35 ~
10 7
Batch size: 6.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.064 measured
(1.063 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.004 measured
(1.016 estimated)
Color
9° SRM / 17.73° EBC measured
(7° SRM estimated)
(Gold to Copper)
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 25 mins 2.0 Cascade pellet 6.4
boil 5 mins 1.0 Willamette pellet 6.0
dry hop 5 days 2.0 Cascade pellet 6.0
dry hop 5 days 1.0 Willamette pellet 6.0
Boil: 6.0 avg gallons for 25 minutes
Bitterness
28.4 IBU / 18 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
Wyeast American Ale (1056)
ale yeast in liquid form with low to medium flocculation and 75% attenuation
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation
Alcohol
8.0% ABV / 6% ABW
(6.3% est. ABV / 5% est. ABW)
Calories
209 per 12 oz.

Wow that's a lot of honey for a 2 gal batch and wow that's a lot of pure sugars and boosters for a 6 gal batch which probably explains the low FG.

Your recipes are up to 35% simple sugars. Simple sugars don't contribute to FG, and in fact may dry beers out beyond what the FG would be without them. That's why they are finishing dry.

Wow that's a lot of honey for a 2 gal batch and wow that's a lot of pure sugars and boosters for a 6 gal batch which probably explains the low FG.

Right. Since simple sugars are completely fermentable, a very low FG would be expected. I don't know why your expected FG is higher, actually.

In plain water, honey will ferment down to .990. The first recipe was over 40% honey! That's not a typical "beer" recipe at all. More of a mead/beer mix if I had to name it.

The second recipe is 64% malt? The rest simple sugars? Again, that's not a typical recipe but with that much simple sugar, it'll finish super low.

Thanks for the help Folks. I just need to reduce my adjuncts if I want a heavier (body/flavor) beer in the end. So just because I have a high OG, doesn't mean I should get a higher FG. Just depends on what I put in to ferment. I should also expect a lousy mouth feel with no body and weak taste, using all those high yield fermentables. I get it now.

Here's the Mr. Beer recipe. I hope I put the honey amount in right. I figured it was about a pound and a half. Is that close for two cups?

Mr.Beer Full Moon Marzen
RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can High Country Canadian Draft HME
1 Can Golden Wheat UME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Packet Mt. Hood Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
2 Cups Honey
1 Medium Orange Rind (grated)

Have you calibrated your thermometer?

I had this same issue, I checked my thermometer, and I was 10 degrees high. Which means I mashed at 144 degrees, not 154.

Latest posts

Back