FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
I recently brewed an imperial pumpkin ale (5 gallons) that had an OG of 1.084. All went well during fermentation (used 2 packets of US-04 in fermentation chamber for 3 weeks, very active throughout).

I kegged, but forgot to take a FG reading. I decided to try to take a FG reading of the flat beer (I left it out overnight). My FG was 1.017. I'm not upset with this, but this is by far the highest FG I've ever had. I typically get most of my beers within the 1.009-1.011 range. The beer tastes fine, btw.

I did add a teaspoon or two of pumpkin pie spice and 2 oz of vanilla extract at time of kegging. Would that (or the gelatin finings) have any impact on the FG if I measured out of the keg?

The rule of thumb is 75%... so if you started with a OG of 1.084, you'd finish about 1.021 Now there are something about this as a rule of thumb, each yeast finishes differently. The yeast manufacturers publish what the Attenuation is - 75% is typical, but it can be as low as 65% and as high as 85% when fermenting 100% malt. Anything not malt (corn sugar, honey, etc) has the potential for different numbers. In the case of sugar and honey, it is 100%.

Anyhow, if I had to guess, I'd say that you had some sugar in your initial, which accounts for the lower gravity than I would have guessed. But I've not checked your specific yeast for it's attenuation.

That is just shy of 80% apparent attenuation, I would say everything sounds perfectly fine to me as S-04 is usually right around 75% apparent attenuation in my experience. Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract or gelatin will really have no effect on the FG. If it tastes good, roll with it!!

Bigger beers typically equate to higher FGs, unless sugar or the like is added to really dry them out. For a pumpkin with that much alcohol, it will be fine.

Back