FG Higher Than Expected... Should I Add More Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Logo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently brewing a Belgian Wit that has been fermenting for about 9 days. The recipe calls for 10 days of fermenting and I just checked my FG and it seems a bit high at 1.022 (OG of 1.047) using Wyeast 3944.

The Alc % should be higher, but mine looks like its going to be 3.something % - TOO LOW!

So my question is should I add more yeast to bring it down those few extra points, or do you think that wouldn't fix it?

Today's the first time I checked the FG so maybe in a few days I'll see where it ends up (slow fermentation maybe?).

Here is the original recipe:
"Recipe Type:

All Grain
Yeast:

Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit
Yeast Starter:

Yes
Batch Size (Gallons):

Original Gravity:

Boiling Time (Minutes):

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):

10days from 64 F, free rise to 78 F
This is a super thick, super orangey, single hop/hop-bursted Amarillo Wit.

6 lbs Flaked Wheat
4 lbs Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
.25 lbs Flaked Oats
Add rice hulls if you're not smart enough to be BIAB'ing. :)

.65oz 9%AA Amarillo @ 20 min
.5 oz 9%AA Amarillo @ 15 min
1 oz 9% AA Amarillo @ 0 min

.1 oz coriander @ 5 min
.1 oz bitter orange peel @ 5 min

CaCl forward water
Mash @ 152 F for 90 min
Boil for 60 min

Chill quickly (hop bursted) to 64 and pitch Wyeast 3944.
Let free rise to 78 F over the next week and half.
Keg, highly carbonate and drink fresh on your patio in the sun with brunch.

F@$k mimosas.

Enjoy.

-TK"

You provide the recipe... did you follow it accurately? Did you hit all the recommended values? The recipe indicates to mash at 152°... did you indeed mash at that temp? I’m assuming the target FG is probably close to 10 points less than where you’re at now. I don’t have any experience with that yeast, but searching on the google yields quite a few results that describe similar problems as yours. Many say it’s a very slow yeast with fermentation times of at least 2 weeks and up to 4. Gentle swirling to keep it active is another common suggestion. Larger than usual starters are also recommended.
Maybe somebody with first hand experience can help more.

Are you by any chance measuring your FG with a refractometer? Refracts are affected by the presence of alcohol, and read too high in its presence. If you are using a refractometer, you need to use a correction calculator to get a reasonable estimate of the actual FG (using a hydrometer for FG measurements is better.)

Brew on :mug:

Doesn't matter what the recipe says. Those numbers are just guidelines. Yeast are living organisms that do not read or listen to instructions and do not have calendars. They will not magically stop when they hit the target FG or get to day 10. Give it a few more days and check again. It's done when it's done, and you have the same reading a couple of days apart.

Adding more yeast is not likely to help. Adding more patience is a better bet.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the tips!

I’ll go ahead and add more patience as this hobby has taught me many times and check back in. To the first reply - I knew it might have been a slow yeast... thanks for looking all that up!

Would you still let it free ride, or ferment on the colder side?

Most ale yeasts need to be temperature controlled during the active part of the fermentation, usually 3 to 5 days. By that time the esters or phenolics are formed and the beer temperature won't change it. I'd let it ferment warm to encourage the yeast to keep going. If you chill it the yeast may just quit. Some yeasts even like to be quite warm to finish.

You lose absolutely nothing (except time) by waiting another week or two to see what happens. If at that time it still has not attenuated as expected, there are a few things to try. But even if none of these top secret fixes work, a beer that finishes at 1.022 will not be terrible, you might actually like it quite a bit. Of course, you will be mostly sober while relishing that beer, but worse things have happened to better people.

Back