FermZilla or Catalyst

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascrappo

Reaction score
Hi All, looking for suggestions.

Both FermZilla and Catalyst conical units look nice, anyone have experience with both that can tell me pros/cons? I am non CO2, just looking for something easier than my carboys. Thanks.

The Fermzilla really does not work without the pressure kit. There is no easy way to get the beer out unless you use pressure. If you CAN use CO2, it is a wonderful fermenter.

I'm a big fan of Fermonsters.

In my opinion these plastic conical fermenters have no tangible benefit.

If harvesting yeast is of interest to you, it's much more sanitary to overbuild a starter.

I agree with RPh_Guy. If you're just looking for something easier/safer to use than a glass carboy try out the Fermonsters. You can get a 6 or 7 gallon one with spigot for around $30. I had a Catalyst that I used for one brew and I didn't like it much. When I went to dry hop the lid seal came off and it's a pain in the ass to get back on.

I picked up a fermzilla and love it. As mentioned above, the co2 is a must for transfers. The advantage of the collection vessel is not necessarily yeast harvesting, rather a way to remove trub and do oxygen free dryhopping without opening the lid.
A happy medium is the fermonster with a modified lid which will allow closed transfers. See the neipa thread for details and part numbers.

If you're worried about trub (and arguably you should be), the ideal solution is to leave the trub in the kettle.

Here's my Fermonster after draining a hefeweizen. I bottled straight from the fermenter. There's so little sediment that you can't even see any when looking from the side, even though the bottom is punted.
IMG_0699.JPG

Removing yeast during fermentation is generally not a good practice.

With regard to dry hopping, there are many ways to "skin the cat" that do not require a $$$ fermenter for just that purpose. One way that's simple and very effective is to dry hop toward the tail end of fermentation, with about 10 gravity points remaining. Active yeast do an excellent job of taking up oxygen.

:mug:

I agree with everything you mentioned. I use fermonsters for most of my batches and they do a damn fine job. I just wanted to mention the other uses for the collection vessel on the zilla. Another positive for the monsters is that they fit in most mini fridges/chest freezers as opposed to the zilla.

I actually just purchased the Fermzilla without much thought to using it for fermenting NOT under pressure. I would just be bottling also. What's the best way to transfer from a Fermzilla for bottling if not done under pressure? I thought about using the side ports on the collection cups and gravity. I did pick up a CO2 tank also, so I could transfer from the top using that and the pressure kit (I did buy that). Is it ok to force the beer out using CO2 after a non-pressure fermentation ? Does this affect the carbonation at all to consider for bottling, lets say even if I'm just moving it to a bucket with spout and priming sugar for bottling? I assume not.

I agree with RPh_Guy. If you're just looking for something easier/safer to use than a glass carboy try out the Fermonsters. You can get a 6 or 7 gallon one with spigot for around $30. I had a Catalyst that I used for one brew and I didn't like it much. When I went to dry hop the lid seal came off and it's a pain in the ass to get back on.

The one time I dry hopped in my catalyst. I put the hops in the sanatized mason jar connected it up and opened the butterfly valve slowly. Worked a treat. I left mason jar on to collect the trub. Saves messing with the gasket.

Bought a 27 litre Fermzilla a few weeks back and hope to use it next week for first time. Got pressure kit too
Must admit am looking forward to getting into using it, even if I have plenty to learn about pressure fermentation.

Out of interest what is so good about the Fermonster? Value for money?

Out of interest what is so good about the Fermonster? Value for money?
Here's my opinion, and there's no real right or wrong of course...

Some benefits of Fermonster compared to the Fermzilla conical:
IMO the shape of the Fermonster is much better, allowing it to fit in a fridge or freezer more easily, and it better fits a heating device like a Fermwrap.
Fermonster is easier to transport when filled.
Fermonster is easier to clean because it has fewer parts.
Fermonster may be less likely to leak because there are fewer connections.
Price.

What advantages does the Fermzilla have?
Pressurized fermentation? That's not desirable (except spunding which should be done in the serving vessel).
Closed transfer? This can be done without pressurization (Fermonster can closed transfer).
Dropping trub or yeast out of a fermenter? Not needed.
So...

Personally if I wanted to spend that much I would get something stainless.

Last edited:
What advantages does the Fermzilla have?
Pressurized fermentation? That's not desirable (except spunding which should be done in the serving vessel).

What's wrong with pressurized fermentation? It's all about how you do it. My main technique is to use a low pressure (5-10psi) until close to finished, then when fermentation slows down I adjust the valve to let the pressure rise to around 20-25psi. That way I end up with carbonated beer. One less step to worry about.

Mainly the fact that there's no benefit to it (with the exception of spunding).

I agree, but would think a little bit of pressure before the transfer of fermenting wort to the serving vessel could be good practice.

Mainly the fact that there's no benefit to it (with the exception of spunding).
Well there is also evidence in favour of it suppressing ester and VDK formation, allowing for higher fermentation temperatures and therefore faster fermentation.

Just out of interest, when does one generally start applying the pressure during fermentation?
From beginning? A few days in? Reading different things and want to start fermenting under pressure soon.
Am doing a partial APA next week and want to start using my Fermzilla properly

Just out of interest, when does one generally start applying the pressure during fermentation?
From beginning? A few days in? Reading different things and want to start fermenting under pressure soon.
Am doing a partial APA next week and want to start using my Fermzilla properly
There’s no right answer although if done from the beginning it’s a matter of letting the pressure rise naturally from the fermentation. You are not literally applying pressure.

Well there is also evidence in favour of it suppressing ester and VDK formation, allowing for higher fermentation temperatures and therefore faster fermentation.
That's fine on a commercial scale but we don't need that at home.
With a healthy pitch and oxygenation, ales should be done within 2-4 days, and lagers maybe an extra day or so. To me that seems fast enough for most home brewers. :)

That's fine on a commercial scale but we don't need that at home.
With a healthy pitch and oxygenation, ales should be done within 2-4 days, and lagers maybe an extra day or so. To me that seems fast enough for most home brewers. :)
Not with most yeasts. Those are very optimistic timeframes if you are looking for quality. Maybe you could get an ale done with kveik in that time.

"Don't knock it until you try it" seems applicable here.....

I have noticed a big difference in quality of my beers since I took o2 out of the picture with my fermzilla and fermentsaurus. These fermenter are the best. I always ferment under pressure now. I normally use about 10-20 psi. Closed loop to keg and serve. Or even serve from the fermenter. I love that I can harvest yeast for next time. If your time frame is from a bucket fermenter you must be fermenting to hot. Not really a problem using the fermzilla, the pressure keeps all those bad tastes away. Many many batches done so far. Never a regret. So yeah, try then comment on if you needed it or not.

Latest posts

Back