Fermzilla 3.2 tri conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haze Crazed

Reaction score
Anyone using and liking the new tri conical with morebeer 3”x1.5 elbow directly off the bottom of the conical?

Was thinking about trying this then going from the elbow to a site glass to a 1.5” butterfly. Then reduce down to 1/2” off butterfly to dump trub and collect yeast.

Attachments

• CDED2E92-3154-42C9-B096-E6CF53DC36DC.png
    CDED2E92-3154-42C9-B096-E6CF53DC36DC.png
    626.8 KB · Views: 0
This is the first I've heard of it. Is the advantage just dumping sideways versus vertically?
First and foremost I can’t stand the collection jar. It’s a huge PITA. I currently have the screw on and screw off. Thinking about upgrading to tri clamp Fermzilla which will get rid off the issues with screwing it off and on but still presents some of the same issues in my mind.

1. You still have to take off the collection jar (albeit tri clamp which is a huge improvement).
2. Then you have to dump (trub) clean then sanitize the jar. Then reconnect and purge so you don’t introduce a ton of oxygen. (This process takes me at least an hour. I end up doing this 3 times between dropping trub, yeast then dry hops (at least once).
3. When you open back up the butterfly on the bottom of the Fermzilla it agitates the crap out of everything.

With the setup i mentioned you never deal with the collection chamber again. No pulling it off/on cleaning and sanitizing. With the site glass you can see if you’re still dealing with trub or yeast. With the 1.5” butterfly ruduced down to 1/2” you can barely crack the valve to dump causing minimal agitation. At least in my mind?

Interesting. I'm not picturing that elbowed dump process going too smoothly. But I understand the annoyance with the jar.

I've used all-rounders for years and love the simplicity. I recently bought a tri-clamp fermzilla on sale but haven't used it yet. My plan is not just not remove the jar the first few times and just use it as vertical trub collector but not remove it until after the beer is kegged.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not picturing that elbowed dump process going too smoothly. But I understand the annoyance with the jar.

I've used all-rounders for years and love the simplicity. I recently bought a tri-clamp fermzilla on sale but haven't used it yet. My plan is not just not remove the jar the first few times and just use it as vertical trub collector but not remove it until after the beer is kegged.
I suppose it’s me trying to get as close to a ss conical without the 2K investment. Pretty much anyone that I’ve seen has this dump setup.

I really like this video about dumping and harvesting and that’s where I started thinking this setup would be a great idea.

Attachments

• A8D4B37C-0C04-4E35-AA22-6F9FA287AB73.png
    A8D4B37C-0C04-4E35-AA22-6F9FA287AB73.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AB4C8D26-6A3A-4FB0-96F4-AEDE466B2380.png
    AB4C8D26-6A3A-4FB0-96F4-AEDE466B2380.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2F5D0802-CAE3-493C-A551-8E783D2CF555.png
    2F5D0802-CAE3-493C-A551-8E783D2CF555.png
    631.2 KB · Views: 0
Back