Fermtation stopped at 1.022. What to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimmer

Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I brewed an oatmeal stout (link to stout) from northern brewer a month ago. The recipe called for a OG of 1.049, which I hit, but it doesn't mention what the FG should end up at. I used the yeast 1098 British Ale, but I can't remember if I made a starter or not. I have brewed about 30 beers in my life in this was the first time I adjusted the recipe, but I only added 1LB of Lactose. For whatever reason My gravity it reading 1.022. I assume it should have fermented to 1.012 so for whatever reason my beer didn't fully ferment. Should I just keg and not worry about it? or should I do something to ferment the beer done more?

Any advise would be appreciated!

1 lb of lactose adds about 7 gravity points in a 5 gallon batch. And none of it is fermentable. That's likely the reason for your high FG.

Yup - their chocolate milk stout has a pound of lactose in it and that too (al 3 times I've made it) has stopped north of 1.020. It's most likely done. In cases where I've tried to add additional yeast to lower gravity, it does more harm than good. I've learned I'd personally way rather have good flavor/body than a higher ABV. So you'll have an oatmeal stout around 4% - nothing wrong with that!

If it's already a month old, and it's been at 1.022 for a while, it's done. It would be unusual for a beer with a pound of lactose to go as low as 1.012, so I think that is a very unrealistic FG projection. 1.020-1.024 is much more reasonable for a FG for a milk stout.

I agree with all the others. A milk stout with a pound of lactose is done. Expecting 1.012 is very unrealistic.

I did a recent oatmeal stout that ended at 1.022. I agree you are done. It will be a sweeter stout due to the unfermentable sugars.

Last milk stout I made with a pound of lactose finished at 1.022. Looks like you're good to bottle or keg.

BTW, expect that this will taste much better after a longer than normal conditioning period. Good at 3 months. Even better at 6 months.

I would expect nothing less than get the exact answer I was looking for from all of you. Glad my beer is perfect! Thanks for the responses.

Latest posts

Back