Fermonster lid fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I just picked up 5 fermonsters for a song and while I've yet to actually use one (will be in two weeks for wine) I've read quite a bit on these O ring problems. I use better bottles and never had an issue. I just needed more vessels. but with all this talk about the O ring issues has anyone thought to just caulk some silicone in there? Surely that's soft enough to be pliable and form a good seal once screwed down, right? Then it's a permanent, sanitizable solution without the need for replacing o rings and struggling to get them in.

I'm an absolute noob with three Fermonsters. I got a couple of extra o-rings after reading about issues, but have had no problems, yet. I think the main issue is with people over-tightening the lids. I make them barely snug and get a good seal. You can use a little keg lube, as well.

Has anyone tried using larger cross section (i.e. "fatter") "O" rings in the lids? They always seemed too skinny compared to industrial "O" ring applications I am familiar with.

Brew on :mug:

I'm gonna experiment with one lid as a sacrifice. I'm gonna caulk in some 100% silicone, really thin of course. That should fill the void and snug up nicely with the bottle.

Good luck. I've owned 1 fermonster that came with my first brew kit. Used it three times until throwing it away after cleaning it with warm tap water and it deformed. Just remember it's delicate plastic. don't crank on it. Get the lid opening tool because they get stuck. I switched to sankey kegs for fermentation.

Good luck. I've owned 1 fermonster that came with my first brew kit. Used it three times until throwing it away after cleaning it with warm tap water and it deformed. Just remember it's delicate plastic. don't crank on it. Get the lid opening tool because they get stuck. I switched to sankey kegs for fermentation.
Yes, blow molded PET plastic shrinks when exposed to heat. Probably don't want to expose it to higher than about 110°F temps. If you can't keep your hand in the liquid, it's too hot.

Brew on :mug:

I pump my wort out at 70 after my plate chiller so that's not an issue. I'm gonna try it here soon and I'll post my experiment whether it worked or not.

Back