Fermometer reading 74ish two days into fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerDoctor5

Reaction score
As the title says I'm two days into fermentation and I'm wondering if I should stick my carboy into a cooler with water and ice. The ambient temp is 67 right now and the fermometer is reading 73ish (b/t 72 and 74). However, when I got home from work today the ambient was 70 and my fermometer was reading 74ish. I'm using safale us05. My other carboy (EdWorts apfelwein) is at 67 (three weeks since pitch). Should I ride out the active fermentation or throw it in some water? I've read somewhere that large fluctuations of temp can be worse than maintaining a higher temp. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for helping a newb out!

Marcus

As the title says I'm two days into fermentation and I'm wondering if I should stick my carboy into a cooler with water and ice. The ambient temp is 67 right now and the fermometer is reading 73ish (b/t 72 and 74). However, when I got home from work today the ambient was 70 and my fermometer was reading 74ish. I'm using safale us05. My other carboy (EdWorts apfelwein) is at 67 (three weeks since pitch). Should I ride out the active fermentation or throw it in some water? I've read somewhere that large fluctuations of temp can be worse than maintaining a higher temp. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for helping a newb out!

Marcus

74 is a bit warm. Inside the fermentor is likely even hotter by a couple/few degrees. Cool it off. Get that fermometer reading to 61-64F..

Thanks for the quick reply! I heeded your advice and have placed my active fermenting carboy along with my secondary into a cooler filled with water currently at 64F. I'll monitor the water temp and control with ice packs. Thanks!

The yeast may have already thrown some esters on this batch. Don't be discouraged if you have some off flavors in this batch and use your new found temp control on the next batch. Temp control is the most critical during the first few days and less so after that.

The yeast may have already thrown some esters on this batch. Don't be discouraged if you have some off flavors in this batch and use your new found temp control on the next batch. Temp control is the most critical during the first few days and less so after that.

I agree with this. The first few days are when you need temp control the most. Usually after my fermentations calm down after 5-7 days I can take my buckets out of the swamp cooler and let them sit at room temp (65F in my house) for the rest of fermentation. If I notice the temps getting higher, sometimes I'll put them back into the water.. Now that the weather is getting warmer in El Paso I'll likely have to start leaving them in..

Back