Fermentor Geometry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medvitz

Reaction score
I don't see how the geometry of these will have much of an impact. Now, if you were talking about the difference between theses and say a 15BBL conical bottom fermenter or a huge open fermentation trough, then there would be a definite difference. But, what the yeast would experience between these and a fermentation bucket is about the same.

Are these food grade?

Thanks for the quick reply. That was pretty much what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.

I think these are food grade, but I haven't validated as of yet. I'll update once I have.

Nope. Zero difference.

Though I would give some thought before investing in large plastic fermenters. Then all the drawbacks of using a plastic fermenter are amplified and all the advantages begin to dwindle (not trying to get into a glass/plastic debate here). Plastic can scratch easily and harbor bacteria. With a small plastic bucket, no biggie. Throw it away and buy a new one. 5 bucks. If you're using a specialty container, it may cost quite a bit more to just replace it. Also, one of the advantages to using a plastic bucket is ease of cleaning. Those look like they'll be no easier than a car boy. Buckets come with a handle for ease of carrying. No handles with those. In fact, I imagine it being quite the chore picking those up when full (if you even need to, you say you're building a room around em).

I'm sure they'll work out fine. Guess I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to help you see all the angles of your fermenter geometry (pun intended).

@firebirdude. You've a lot of good points, some of which were already swimming around my head. I'm considering everything right now: plastic, glass, better bottles - and seeing where they stack up when compared to my space, and what I intend to brew.

My current thought was to see how much beer I could ferment in a 2' x 2' x 8' space, compared to how much I intended to brew. With some of these plastic tanks, I think I could fit 4 x 5gal batches (or more) which is likely to be the most I'll have fermenting at one time, where with carboys I think i can only do 2.

I'm also not likely to make a decision/buy until July......

Again, thanks for the input, it is appreciated......

Medvitz

I sorta like the rectangle flat bottom type. How much are they?

I wonder if the 16 gallon would fit in a fridge. Picking it up without handles would be a real pain.

Try reading BLAM. It talks a little about how geometry does play a role in taste. The surface area/contact of the wort with the yeast and trub do play a role in taste, maybe not on the homebrew scale as stated above

In the book, I believe it was Chimay that had a hard time upgrading their equipment because the new shape of the fermenter did not give them their standard taste.

I wonder if it is noticable on the smaller scale?

Latest posts

Back