fermentometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54BelAir

Reaction score
If my Fermentometer reads 60 degrees, would the temperature inside the fermenting wort somewhat higher?

I figure that the temps toward the middle of the carboy would be higher be a few degrees. Am I correct?

You are correct, by a couple degrees. Not terribly much though, so what it reads is what you should use as your fermentation temperature.

Thanks. I guess I had better go warm things up some. I wanted to be in the low to mid 60's.

I had heard that fermenting temps could be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient air temps. Then I got a thermowell and used it on a 1.094 OG quad that fermented very vigorously...3 degrees above ambient temp. It's pretty negligible.

I had heard that fermenting temps could be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient air temps. Then I got a thermowell and used it on a 1.094 OG quad that fermented very vigorously...3 degrees above ambient temp. It's pretty negligible.

I've done the same, and found that in a warm place, my beer was more than 10 degrees warmer than ambient! I think it's important to monitor the temperature and make adjustments as needed, and the fermometer stuck on the outside is accurate within a degree or two.

I had heard the 5 to 10 number also. Interesting to hear that your results showed differently.

Yooper said:
I've done the same, and found that in a warm place, my beer was more than 10 degrees warmer than ambient! I think it's important to monitor the temperature and make adjustments as needed, and the fermometer stuck on the outside is accurate within a degree or two.

So the phrase your mileage may vary does apply.

Latest posts

Back