Fermentis dry yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I bought a couple of 11.5 g sachets of Fermentis Safale US-05 and S-04. The problem is that I am a 1 gallon brewer with equipment suitable for batches no more than 1 gallon as a result.
My question is how do you store an opened fermentis dry yeast pack, so that you can use it later, for example 2 weeks later?

Hi everyone,
I bought a couple of 11.5 g sachets of Fermentis Safale US-05 and S-04. The problem is that I am a 1 gallon brewer with equipment suitable for batches no more than 1 gallon as a result.
My question is how do you store an opened fermentis dry yeast pack, so that you can use it later, for example 2 weeks later?

From the Fermentis spec sheet for SA-05. Vacuum sealing would probably extend the time even though oxygen would have been introduced.

shelf life
24 months from production date. Refer to best before end date printed
on the sachet.
Opened sachets must be sealed and stored at 4°C (39°F) and used within
7 days of opening. Do not use soft or damaged sachets.

Thanks for the quick answer. How do you seal the sachets? For the temperature requirement a refrigerator would be fine I think. Is freezing better than storing them at 4 degrees Celcius?

Ive used an open packet probably 2 months after opening it. I made a one gallon brew, then used the remainder for a 2.5gal brew. I figured for whatever yeast had perished, I'd be over pitching and make up for it.

All went as normal with it.

I just folded the top over, put it in a small zip lock baggie, submerged the baggie to the 'zip' in water to force all the air out, and 'zipped it'. (red neck vacuum seal). And popped it into the fridge.

Yeast are pretty resilient.

That is a good idea. Will a food sealer work on the sachets? I won't use the suction because obviously it can suck the yeast out of the sachet. Just the sealer might work closing the sachet.

That is a good idea. Will a food sealer work on the sachets? I won't use the suction because obviously it can suck the yeast out of the sachet. Just the sealer might work closing the sachet.

Staple the package first. Vacuum won't get the yeast out.

Latest posts

Back