Fermenting with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. It is t really about fermenting, but the question is about the fermenting process. My names Mike. I’m not really new to brewing. Or home brew talk, but I haven’t brewed in a while. Anyway. Recently I brewed a cream ale that I have sitting in the primary. What I want to do with it is rack it into 4 1 gallon secondary’s and add some flavors. One of the flavors I want to try is an orange honey. I’ve seen YouTube videos on how to sanitize the fruit so that I want put bacteria or wild yeast into the fermenter. I haven’t found anything on how to prepare the honey. I know you can’t boil the honey because it separates the sugars and changes the flavor of the honey. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. It is t really about fermenting, but the question is about the fermenting process. My names Mike. I’m not really new to brewing. Or home brew talk, but I haven’t brewed in a while. Anyway. Recently I brewed a cream ale that I have sitting in the primary. What I want to do with it is rack it into 4 1 gallon secondary’s and add some flavors. One of the flavors I want to try is an orange honey. I’ve seen YouTube videos on how to sanitize the fruit so that I want put bacteria or wild yeast into the fermenter. I haven’t found anything on how to prepare the honey. I know you can’t boil the honey because it separates the sugars and changes the flavor of the honey. Any ideas?
I'm no expert but isn't honey a natural antibiotic? I think you'll be OK using it raw. Pretty sure that's what a lot of mead makers do too.

Another option would be to boil a discrete amount of water, then stir the honey into solution.
Cool it down to room temperature and add.

Honey has anti-bacterial properties and rarely spoils if kept properly in containers.
I've added store-bought pasteurized honey straight from the bottle after weighing and measuring with no problems.

Back