Fermenting too hot temp control broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewibolo

Reaction score
What’s up everyone,

first batch in over 6 years, I used to do extract brewing then stopped. Now I’m resuming six years later with an all grain brew (biab). I go to hook up my temp control to my fermenter fridge and darn thing is shot. I hooked up a timer to try and control but was fermenting overnight at about 85 degrees. Using US-05 yeast. What you all think? Is it ruined , but still drinkable? what’s the worst that could happen? Thanks for input, whata crap scenario for jumping back into it.

It has a range of up to 77 but preferred no higher then 71. Were you able to get the temp back down or is it what it is ? Was it the first day that the temp shot up? I wouldn't toss it . You may get some off flavor but you wont know till you try it.

Never toss a batch until you have tried it. Sometimes yeast can surprise you with their results. Even the experts don't know how a yeast will react in all environments. In 'Brew like a monk' (Hieronymus), he encourages brewers to experiment with temperatures above the normal range. Now he is mostly talking about Belgian yeasts, but the same principal applies.

I would also be concerned with this yeast at that temperature, but I don't know what you will get. You might get a beer with lots of yeast flavor that you will never be able to replicate, or you may end up with a beer with lots of higher alcohols that will give you hangover type headaches after drinking just a couple of beers. ....... or somewhere in between.

Until you try it, you will never know.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I guess I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Apparently need a new fermenting chamber as well. The small fridge I have can’t keep up. A true test batch this was get kinks worked out.

What’s up everyone,

first batch in over 6 years, I used to do extract brewing then stopped. Now I’m resuming six years later with an all grain brew (biab). I go to hook up my temp control to my fermenter fridge and darn thing is shot. I hooked up a timer to try and control but was fermenting overnight at about 85 degrees. Using US-05 yeast. What you all think? Is it ruined , but still drinkable? what’s the worst that could happen? Thanks for input, whata crap scenario for jumping back into it.
Drinkable? Of course. Good beer? Probably not.

Back