Fermenting Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellsean

Reaction score
I have a pretty simple question about my fermenting temperature...

My next brew will be my first time fermenting in my new apartment. It has old school steam/hot water radiators which cause a pretty serious variation in temperature.

My question is, if the temperature in my apartment is varying between 65-75 degrees (I would say it's a steady 70 degrees during daylight hours, then it dips down to 65, before the heat kicks in at around 10:00 pm, bringing it up to about 75 for a few hours) will this have a huge effect on my brew? Is it worth it for me to buy a temperature control sleeve?

Thanks!
Sean

That's excessive. The first thing I would try is some form of insulation to reduce the temperature swing. The only thing a belt can do is increase the temperature & you don't need that.

Definitely get a circular ice tub with the rope handles, fill with water and that'll help insulate the beer. It takes a lot of energy to raise the temp of water

Insulating with water won't hurt, and it may help. However, you have five gallons of water in that fermenter. The temperature swings in there won't be as extreme or swift as the ones in the rest of your apartment. You can make good beer in those conditions. It may not be as good as with temperature control, but it will be quite fine.

If you do nothing else, and if you can, place your fermenter in a closet or some other place where the temperature won't vary as much. Certainly, don't put it next to the radiator. :)

TL

Latest posts

Back