Fermenting temp help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
I recently purchased a brewdog recipe book which has some really good looking stuff in it.

Some of the recipes are quite complex, in the fact that anything over 21c fermenting is difficult for me because i do not now how to prolong higher temps easily.

Is it possible to use the electrim boiler i have to maintain temps like 27c for example

Any other advice welcome

Yah, the easiest fix is to change the yeast to something that works better in your space. It won't be an exact clone but it'll still be great beer.

Heating is far easier than cooling. A cheap heat belt and temp controller, job done.

Wont subbing yeast make significant differences ti taste?

It really just depends what the recipe calls for and what you're subbing in for how significant the difference will be. If you look at the profile for the yeast you're supposed to use and compare it to strains that work in your environment you may be able to find something close.

Btw Brewdogs put out their recipe book for free at the beginning of the year. All you have to do it submit an email address. Not sure what the difference is between yours and this one but I figured I'd pass it along. You know, since it's Christmas and all...

Enjoy! https://www.brewdog.com/diydog
:mug:

Do you put the probe in the fermenter or just the outside???

Sorry...I'm slipping, missed your question. Probably better ways to do it but I use a piece of duct tape to secure it to the outside of the bucket. I place it away from the heating unit ( mine does not circle the entire bucket) and about 1/3 up from the bottom. The tape covers the probe completely.

I have never used this for beer but frequently use the heater for wine which typicaly ferments at a higher temperature than beers.

Cheers

A related question, I have heard that the ambient temperature is not actually the temperature of the fermenting wort, but that the wort will generate heat.

If I have my fermentation bucket in a larger bucket of water does this mostly even out? Water transfers heat much better than air so it should be closer at least.

If I ever brew something that needs a higher fermentation temperature than my ambient of about 70 degrees I plan on using an aquarium heater. If I do that do I need to heat the water a couple degrees cooler than I want the fermentation bucket to be to account for the increase of temperature due to fermentation? Or will the fact that the ambient temperature is lower than the water/wort make that even out?

Hopefully someone who has "experimented" with this will chime in. That said my experience is that during the most active fermentation, fermenter temps will run about 1-3 degrees higher than ambient room temp. (I usually set my room temp to 61* and the fermenters will always stay 63* or less.) I use stick-on thermometers and again my understanding is they are pretty accurate to what is "inside" the fermenter.

As for setting the fermenter in water, if I were to do that I think with that mass of water I would hold the water at the same temp I wanted the fermenter to be. I don't think you would see much of a swing in temp as long as you have a decent amount of water surrounding the fermenter. The key here I think is having a good quantity of water in that second bucket. If your fermenter is only slightly smaller than the outside bucket my guess is you won't gain much temp. stability.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back