Fermenting temp drop - what to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdraitis

Reaction score
Recently made a blonde ale and a porter using US-05. Fermented for approx 5 days at 64 degrees. Then we had an unusual cold front come thru Texas dropping the temp in fermentation chamber to around 52 degrees for about another 5 days. Anyone have any experience with this and if so, can I expect and negative results from this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I've not been through exactly that but since you made it through the first 5 days at your planned temperature I bet you will be fine. Just monitor FG and flavor, and package as you normally would. Worst case you may find fermentation stuck, but I bet you can rouse the yeast in that case.

Take a hydrometer sample and see if it attenuated to where it is predicted to be. I'd expect that to be about 1.015 to 1.017 but a little lower or higher would still be fine. Now smell taste it. It should taste like beer but flat rather than carbonated. If it smells or tastes like green apples or fresh cut pumpkin, that will be from acetaldehyde, a natural byproduct of fermentation. If you get that, warm the fermneter to the low 70's and let it set for another few days so the yeast will have a better chance of breaking that down to alcohol. If your beer has other flavors that seem odd, do your best to describe them so we can have a chance to figure out what may have gone wrong.

Back