Fermenting Room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog21

Reaction score
Hey Forum-

I just moved to a new home and it came with a mancave (poker table, HD flat screen and wet bar). Also it has a small unfinished storage area that just seems ripe for keeping my brewing projects.

I am in the process of tracking the average temperature of the unfinished area and thought I would ask, is there an ideal room temp for all types of beer?

It's holding steady at 69 degrees right now and it's pretty sealed down there so I do not think it will change much but the furnace is in there and I live in Colorado so the garage temp fluctuates too much.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Personally, I would consider that too warm. My cellar this time of year runs around 58 degrees, which means my ales are usually around 62-64 degrees. With what I brew that works really well.

Rick

That's a little warmer than ideal. You'd like to have ambient temp down to low-mid 60s so the wort inside might be just under 70. Of course it depends on the beer style, but I'd say 69 is a little warm.

(edit for typo)

Depends entirely on the style you're making. 69 F is too cold for most Saisons, probably about right for most Belgians, too hot for most American/English ales.

happy I found this post. after reading it I checked and mine was at about 75 to 80 degrees. I moved it to a room that is 60 to 65 degrees. It was only in the warmer room for about 24 hours but that explains the massive amount of fermentation.

Well I like American and English Ambers so it sounds like I have some issues to deal with...

Thanks everyone.

Well I like American and English Ambers so it sounds like I have some issues to deal with...

Thanks everyone.

Oversimplifying, but basically the hotter you ferment, the more "yeast character" you're going to get, i.e. esters and phenols. So if you're brewing a Belgian where that's appropriate, a fermentation temperature of 72F might be appropriate, but for something you want to stay fairly clean (like an amber), you'll typically want to ferment at 62-64F.

Thanks everyone.

Yes. You do need to think about temp control. I like to ferment at the low end of the recommended range. Get fridge with a temp controller and you will be happy.

So, a follow up. Is it just for the first week in the primary that I would have to worry about temp? Can I move it to the carboy after the first week and keep the carboy in that 68-70 degree range for an Amber? The kit in considering is the American Autumn from Midwest.

AFter the first week most of fermentation is complete, so you can move it to the 68-70 degree area with no problems.

So, a follow up. Is it just for the first week in the primary that I would have to worry about temp? Can I move it to the carboy after the first week and keep the carboy in that 68-70 degree range for an Amber? The kit in considering is the American Autumn from Midwest.

Depends on the yeast used. I wouldn't move an ale from the cake until it's going to keg/bottle though.

BTW, my fermenting area ranges from 47-54F... I use English yeast strains and they love it. I can easily add some warmth to the fermenters (reflectix and a heating pad wrap) if needed. I monitor the temperature inside the fermenting vessel as well as the room (remote weather station sensors for the rooms)... I might need to do some other things during the warmer/summer months (just moved here in September) but that should be easy. :D

Cool, thanks! I may have a spot in the garage, on a shelf close to the house that maybe a good spot for week one. After that I can easily move it to the carboy. Colorado weather is so darn goofy I could plan it out by the week.

Thanks again!

Cool, thanks! I may have a spot in the garage, on a shelf close to the house that maybe a good spot for week one. After that I can easily move it to the carboy. Colorado weather is so darn goofy I could plan it out by the week.

Thanks again!

I would NOT rack it. It's been posted a bazillion times already that doing so won't actually do your brew any good. It won't be any clearer than if you left it in primary. Plus, you open yourself to additional contamination/infection risk by racking. Do as you like there, but you won't get much sympathy if it gets something bad in it after you rack.

Something else you could consider, for the unfinished closet... If it's on an exterior wall, insulate the living snot out of it and install an AC unit that goes to the outside. Mini walk-in cooler... :D Then you can ferment at the right temps and probably even lager.

Ok so my converting a portion of the house to resemble that of a walk-in cooler would not go well... Thanks for the racking advice...

Ok so my converting a portion of the house to resemble that of a walk-in cooler would not go well... Thanks for the racking advice...

Fermentation room. :D IF she likes the brew you make now, just tell her that it will be even BETTER with the closet chamber... She's already taken over enough of the closets, you can have one, right? :eek:

Only if you got caught! Tell her you saw a spider in there. :D

Rick

Interesting tactic... Did it work for you?? :D

I would be better off just telling her what it is, the spider thing would get me into trouble. Either way it would still be NO!! lol

I would be better off just telling her what it is, the spider thing would get me into trouble. Either way it would still be NO!! lol

Well, okay, but somehow, some way, you'll need to do something to keep your ferment temps where they need to be.

In the search box, look for swamp coolers. If she says no to that, you're doomed! :eek:

Rick

+1 on swamp cooler. Get yourself several plastic bottles so you can rotate then to the freezer and back

Ok, so even with outside temps at 11 degrees the area I found in the garage only dropped to 40 degrees. And with temps in the 30's and 40's outside the garage hovered in the 50-55 degree range.

Based on what I'm seeing here that would be good for the Autumn Amber in the primary for a week or so.

A tub of water and an adjustable aquarium heater and you'll be set for all winter. Your yeast like it cool but stable and the tub of water will change temperature slowly on its own and with the adjustable heater you should be able to keep the brew temperature within a degree or 2 of your optimum.

Latest posts

Back